Julia Summers - Friendly Professional Counsellor (Prev Watson)
07507 793882 / 07507 793882
I am a fully qualified professional counsellor who works with adults, young people and children. The type of therapy I offer can help people of all ages with a range of personal issues, it particularly helps people who are drawn to exploring their thoughts and feelings and want to gain understanding. It is particularly helpful for people wanting to overcome depression,anxiety and generally any issues that impact self-esteem. If you are wanting to reconnect with yourself and move towards being who you want to be then counselling may help.
All the clients I work with have unique experiences, challenges, relationships and lives. Some people come to me knowing exactly what they want to work through or change and others may feel confused and may not fully understand why they feel the way they do. Whatever has brought you to this point be assured that you will get a friendly welcome and I am someone who will be there to help and support you.
Together we will use the sessions at your pace to work through things, you will get the time and space you need. I am not going to make judgements about you and your life, I provide a safe and supportive environment, I will listen to what you have to say and together we can work through the things that are important.
I work both long and short term with lots of different people who have come to me for many reasons; anxiety, stress, depression, panic attacks, sexual abuse, self-harm, self destructive behaviours, problem gambling, addictions, health anxiety, domestic abuse, carers including special guardians, kinship carers, issues for adopters, relationship issues, work/life balance, trust issues, those affected by illness, feeling overwhelmed, unfulfilled, lost, sad, bereaved, family issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce amongst many more etc.
My private practice is in Menston near Ilkley, Otley, Guiseley, Burley in Wharfedale, Baildon, Shipley etc easily accessible from Leeds and Bradford areas. If getting to an appointment is difficult I offer alternative convenient solutions which may suit you better such as telephone, Skype, FaceTime and email counselling. Please get in touch for a free initial consultation to discuss this. For some people this is helpful if they have family/work commitments, disabilities or have difficultly attending the practice for whatever reason. I offer flexible day, evening and weekend sessions and the counselling room is wheelchair accessible.
I also offer group and individual support for organisations. I offer counselling to staff in small businesses who need support at work or during periods of sickness/absence. Providing counselling to your staff is tax deductible and can reduce staff absence, assist with those needing help to return to work or for staff in a consultation period. Please get in touch with your businesses individual requirements.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully qualified counsellor - Professional Diploma in Person Centred Counselling
- Integrative Counselling Training
- Full clear Enhanced DBS check
- Member of British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP)
- Registered on the BACP register for Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
- I work with adults, children, young people, couples, family groups and businesses.
- I have worked in schools supporting those with problems associated with confidence, anxiety, health anxiety, self harm, bullying, family issues and those affected by loss/bereavement etc
- Specialist GAMCARE counsellor for people affected by problem gambling.
- I run social & support groups to help people overcome anxiety and isolation, particularly with people affected by illness.
- Supporting Special Guardians, Kinship carers and adopters
- Volunteer work at several charities for people who otherwise could not afford counselling, these have included: children's charities, working with NHS referred adults affected by sexual abuse and their families, providing support to people affected by cancer and other illnesses.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)- working with businesses to help support staff. I also offer direct employee counselling which can be offset against taxable profits this is available to sole traders, partnerships and small businesses saving you the cost of working directly with EAP providers who may be more costly.
- Work in an NHS funded charity counselling survivors/affected families of sexual abuse.
- Over 20 years working with people affected by debt issues
- Qualified Trainer - Level 3 Award for Education & Training (Formally PTLLS)
- Julia Summers MBACP, Dip Counselling, BSc (Hons)Psych
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Bereavement & Loss
- Laughter Therapy
- Sexual Abuse & associated issues
- Eating Disorders
- Self-Harm (Problem Coping Mechanisms)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Working with Children and Young People
- Sand Tray, Puppets, Figures, Art & Play work
- Generalised Anxiety
- Panic Attacks
- Addictions including working with problem gambling
- Couples Counselling
- Family Group Sessions
- Health Anxiety
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I offer support and social groups for
- Confidence building
- Stress management
- For people affected by cancer
Joining a group can be a really helpful place to connect with people who are in similar circumstances, you end up supporting yourself and other people. It is common to feel anxious about joining a group, some people can find it difficult but be reassured these are purposefully friendly and supportive sessions so you will not be the only person who feels like that and usually people settle very quickly. You can get a lot out of groups even when you are just observing and listening to others. Groups usually run for 6 weeks and are safe and confidential spaces that can help you to gain strength and hope. If you would like more information or know somebody who you think may be interested please contact me.
You can also book me for your organisation. I offer workplace group sessions covering:
Coping with stress
* Coping with emotional issues at work - aimed at frontline staff who may be affected by client/customer contacts
* Support for people affected by redundancy
* Bespoke to address team issues
Please contact me with your requirements.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
- Free initial consultation via phone/email
- £50 per session (50 minutes) Weekday
- £25 1/2 session (25 minutes)
- £70 Couples sessions (50 minutes)
- £80 Family Group Session - A double session is recommended for the first session.
- Add £20 for weekend sessions.
- Limited number of discounted rate session if on low incomes.
- The counselling room is wheelchair accessible.
- Sessions available face to face, telephone, Skype, Whatsapp
- There is a small fee added for home visits to be discussed and agreed upfront.
- My practice is in Menston, close to Guiseley, Otley, Ilkley, Yeadon, Baildon, Shipley etc. There is free on street parking and it is easily accessible by train or bus. It is within 10 miles of the following areas BD1, BD10, BD11, BD12, BD13, BD14, BD15, BD16, BD17, BD18, BD19, BD2, BD20, BD21, BD22, BD23, BD3, BD4, BD5, BD6, BD7, BD8, BD9, BD97, BD98, BD99, HG2, HG3, HX2, HX3, LS1, LS11, LS12, LS13, LS16, LS17, LS18, LS19, LS2, LS20, LS21, LS22, LS27, LS28, LS29, LS3, LS4, LS5, LS6, LS7, LS8, LS9, LS98, LS99
- If you want me to work with your business/organisation to either support individuals or your teams please get in touch with your requirements.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day, evening and weekend appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|