Judy Wilson Bsc, PGDip, MBACP
I am a sensitive, thoughtful and experienced counsellor registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). My practice originates from a psychodynamic perspective, which explores your relationship with yourself, others and the world you live in.
Could you benefit from a place to take time-out to explore the thoughts, feelings and issues that are troubling you, in a confidential and comfortable setting? If so, counselling may be right for you.
Why choose counselling?
Modern life can be complicated and is often stressful, leaving many people with a sense of loss of meaning in their lives. People may feel they have no-one they can talk to, and even those with supportive family and friends may have difficulty talking to them about personal, family or relationship concerns and find it easier to talk to a professionally trained counsellor.
There may often be a clear focus of what the problem is, e.g. bereavement or relationship issues, or there may be less specific or easily-identified causes contributing to feelings of anxiety, depression or helplessness. Often people who have spent much of their lives worrying about others find counselling provides an opportunity to start looking after themselves.
Counselling may help you to explore and feel less overwhelmed with life's obstacles, build on your strengths, be more able to manage your feelings and make decisions that are right for you.
Starting your counselling journey
- Counselling begins with an initial meeting, sometimes known as an assessment, which allows us to get to know each other and talk about your concerns and what is troubling you. You can call me on 07842 343390 or email me to set up your initial meeting.
- This initial meeting lasts for approximately one and half hours and allows us to consider whether this type of counselling is best suited to your needs. Attending an assessment places you under no obligation to attend further sessions. Whilst I am an experienced counsellor there maybe circumstances where we both feel that you need to be referred to another agency, and I will assist you in this process. All communication between us will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
- Counselling can be a profoundly self-changing experience but it can feel challenging to start. This session gives you a feel for what to expect and will allow us to agree a set time and day to meet each week.
- I provide both short term and opened end counselling to individuals over the age of 17 from any race, cultural background or sexual orientation.
- I comply with the BACP ethical and legal guidelines which includes undertaking regular supervision to ensure a good standard of care for my clients and a commitment to ongoing continued professional development.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling.
- Diploma in Counselling
- BACP registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psycholtherapy
- Trained facilitator for the Freedom Programme
- Trained Motivational Interviewer.
- National Fertility Society Advanced Specialist Fertility Counselling Diploma
I have a wide range of experience which includes working with Addiction, Domestic Violence, Abuse, Chronic Illness, Anxiety, Family, Fertility and Parenting difficulties, Depression, and Relationship problems.
As well as working privately I work as a counsellor for an Alcohol and Drugs Advisory Service and have previously worked in a Women’s Centre. I am a member of the BACP and adhere to their ethical and legal guidelines and this includes a commitment to regular, ongoing supervision to maintain a good quality of care for my clients. I am also committed to professional development to support me in working with a diverse client base.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Sessions are booked at a set time and day each week and last 50 minutes.
Charges are between £40-£55 per session.
Initial assessment costs £25.
My counselling practice
I share a counselling practice in Stanstead Abbotts and Kings Cross, London. Stanstead Abbotts is within easy reach of Ware, Hertford, Broxbourne, Great Amwell, Hoddesdon, Cheshunt, Harlow, Roydon.
It is a five minute walk from St Margaret's overground Station (Liverpool Street to Hertford East line). There is ample parking available.
I have a background in the NHS, private and voluntary sector services. I adhere to the BACP ethical and legal guidelines and my experience includes working with depression, anxiety, difficulties with relationships, adultery, family and parenting issues, chronic illness, domestic and child abuse, bereavement, eating disorders and addiction.
Sometimes clients come at a time of extreme crisis, and others when they feel the time is right to address long-standing concerns.
I aim to help you to understand and be more aware of yourself, to explore your deep seated and often unconscious emotions. We are unique individuals and we have different needs in terms of counselling;I offer a safe and confidential space to help you find more meaning, choices and personal awareness in your life and relationships.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mon-Fri daytime and evening, and Sunday in Stanstead Abbotts Ware, Herts. Sessions are also available at Kings Cross, London (Thursdays). Contact me for further details.
Types of client