Josephine Dilwara Tucker, UKCP Registered, Systemic & Family Psychotherapist
About me and Psychotherapy
I offer over twenty years experience as a trained psychotherapist, and vast experience of working and living with people in many different situations including as a trained Nurse and Social Worker. I moved to West Wales twelve years ago and feel very blessed to be living and working here. Previously I worked in the South West of England in Mental Health NHS services, with foster care agencies, Local Authorities and in private practice. I have also travelled widely experiencing the many different social and spiritual cultures in our world.
I care passionately about health and well being and have completed many trainings that enable me to work sensitively and knowledgeably with my clients.
Our journeys through life can bring difficulties and challenges that leave uncomfortable, painful, and life damaging legacies. I appreciate that deciding to look for support and help to change this can make you feel anxious and nervous. To help you feel at ease I aim to create a caring and compassionate environment where you can safely explore the difficulties that you may be experiencing.
I value working with people who have found the courage to explore issues which are troubling them, and I recognise that you may feel concerned about sharing personal issues. My practice is totally confidential and non-judgmental.
I offer you a no cost, no obligation, initial consultation, which can be by phone or face to face, to enable you to make an informed decision about starting therapeutic work.
Who I work with;
Adults, Couples, Young People.
Legal & Statutory Care - Please note I no longer offer therapeutic services in these areas
Where I work;
CILGERRAN: Generally on Wednesdays & Thursdays I work from my home in Cilgerran near Cardigan. I have a snug sitting room with a log burner when its cold. The house is easy to find and only a few minutes walk from a nearby bus stop and very near the cycle track from the Wildlife center. You can park one minute from my home.
I offer weekdays (Weds/Thurs). I offer some evening appointments.
How Many appointments will you need;
You may require one or two appointments, find it helpful to have an appointment now and again, or feel that regular appointments are more helpful. Usually we meet for four to six sessions and then have a review to consider if further appointments are required.
Working style & other skills;
I work in a number of different ways. These are about you and what you are experiencing now, and considers aspects of your life that have influenced you. I have a number of training's that have given me different skills and "tools" which can help you. I tailor these tools to fit who I am working with and the situation you find yourself in, I will talk about these with you and we will agree together which ways would most help you.
- Adoption/Fostering/Parenting - Having worked in child care as a social worker, in psychological services in the NHS and with Adoption and Fostering agencies I have considerable experience of working with Adoptive and Fostering Families and with adults who grew up in situations where they were not cared for by their birth parents. Additionally I have further experience working where parenting has been troubled, either with parents who would like to change an aspect of their parenting, or, with adults who continue to find aspects of their childhood troubling.
- Anxiety - There are certain techniques that I can teach you to control the anxiety while we explore what is causing you to feel so anxious, which could be a previous experience or a way of being that no longer serves you.
-Low Mood/Depression – working in Mental Health Services in the NHS I have frequently worked with depression and understand the medical approach whilst supporting you to explore your inner psychological world.
- Life changing illness – I find that my life experience and knowledge gained from working as a nurse and social worker are immeasurably helpful in working with clients who have life changing or terminal illness.
-Sexual Abuse – As a trained social worker and psychotherapist I have considerable experience working with individuals and families who have experienced sexual abuse.
- Relationship Difficulties - If you are couple finding it hard to communicate and understand each other's feelings, we can look at how you relate and perceive each other's communication. We could also look at your family of origin by drawing your family tree and exploring your position as a child and the legacy it has left, and how this influences your relationship together now. If it becomes clear to you that separation is the best option, I can work with you to enable you both to find acceptance and greater understanding of the meaning of your relationship and time together. If there are children involved, with my experience of child care issues, I will seek to help you find practical solutions to dilemma's that you can both agree upon.
- Young People - I have often worked with Children and Young People. Sometimes its helpful for a Young Person to speak to someone outside of their family when something is upsetting or troubling them, especially if they believe they may upset a parent by talking about their worry. Sometimes its helpful for a Young Person to come with their parents, you may find talking with a neutral person can enable greater understanding and improve communication. My main training is about family relationships and interactions, additionally I have ten years experience of working specifically with children and families in the NHS. (My DBS Certificate number is 001469322309).
Whatever we do my aim is always to assist you to make positive change so that you feel able to live your life more fully
I have full professional indemnity insurance and have regular supervision from a qualified psychotherapist & also attend a peer supervision group. My practice is regularly informed and updated by attending workshops and seminars and by reading appropriate journals. .
Systemic practice is naturally reflective and suited to Supervision which i offer to other practioners.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma Family Therapy & Systemic Practice, Bristol University, October 2003 (UKCP accredited training)
- Emotional Freedom Technique Practitioner - April 2007
- Intermediate Family Therapy & Systemic Practice, June 2001
- Master Social Work - Bristol University, 1994
- Diploma Social Work - Bristol University, 1993
- Registered General Nurse - Bristol School Nursing, 1973
I trained as a psychotherapist whilst working in the NHS in Mental Health Services, and subsequently continued working there for ten years. I have also worked in Private Practice and with a Foster Care Agency, before moving to West Wales where I currently live and work.
I have attended numerous training courses throughout my career, these have included:
TRANSGENDER AWARENESS: Mermaids November 2019
HUMOUR IN SYSTEMIC PRACTICE: John Burham November 2019
SHAME, Bristol, PODS training with Carolyn Spring (June 2019)
MINDFULNESS FOR WELL BEING AND PEAK PERFORMANCE
MONASH UNIVERSITY (November 2018)
- Adoption and Fostering,
- Anger Management,
- Attachment work,
- Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual),
- Bereavement, Grief, Loss
- Communication Skills,
- Cultural Difference,
- Depression & Mental Health
- Eating Disorders,
- Emotional Freedom Technique (also known as Tapping),
- Gender Identity,
- Identity issues,
- Life Changing Issues,
- Life Transitions,
- Working with Living and Dying,
- Mediation work
Working with Couples and Groups, working with Children and Young People, Parenting issues.
I have also run workshops for Foster Care agency's and other organisations including: Attachment Issues, Disability & Trauma; Self Harm; Fostering children with Special Needs; Managing Challenging Behaviours in Fostering; Exploring the meaning of Anger: Encouraging positive Self Esteem in Children & Young People.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I offer a Free Initial Consultation for around 45 minutes so that we can consider together if I can offer you a service appropriate to your needs, and for you to ensure you feel comfortable with me. This can be in person or by telephone. There is no obligation for you to continue seeing me.
If we decide to continue working together...
Appointments can be weekly or two weekly or opportunistic. I offer discounts for long term work & payments in advance. I do offer concessions by agreement.
£45 - for regular weekly appointments (please note my sessions are for a full hour)
£50 - for one off consultation appointments or irregular appointments (ie non weekly)
Couples, Families and Groups
£55 - £60 per hour, sliding scale please self select
We generally meet for one and half hours every two two weeks. I do offer concessions by agreement.
Throughout my life I have been involved in spiritual practise and healing groups.