John Bradley BACP Senior Accredited Children and Young People's Counsellor
Hello! My name is John. Thank you for visiting my profile. I hope that you find it helpful.
I am caring, person centred counsellor and I enjoy working with children and young people.
Coming to counselling is a courageous step for children and young people. I aim to offer you a safe, supportive and honest therapeutic relationship. I will listen respectfully and compassionately to you. I will go at your own pace and I will not tell you what to do.
In addition to talking therapy, I may also offer you the opportunity to work creatively. This means that I may offer you the opportunity to use painting, drawing, puppets, stories and sand play in your counselling sessions. Such creative ways of working I have found really helpful for children/young people in enabling them to begin to express how they are feeling.
I have attended counselling and I feel that I have greatly benefited from it. Counselling has helped me to understand myself much better. It has allowed me to develop more caring ways of dealing with the many challenges in my life.
I can offer both short-term counselling (usually up to 6 sessions) and long term counselling (sometimes over many months).
If you are unsure of whether counselling is for you or your child, please do get in contact and I will be happy to answer any of your questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Adolescent and School Counselling - The Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist (Children and Young People)
- Diploma in Counselling: Using the Person Centered Approach - The Sherwood Institute, Nottingham
- Certificate in Working with Children and Young People - PCCS Training, Manchester
- Advanced Certificate in Therapeutic Play - PCCS Training, Manchester
- BACP Individual Accreditation Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Certificate in Person Centered Supervision - The Norwich Centre for Personal and Professional Development
- BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor (of Individual Counsellors)
I have attended Hull Local Safeguarding Children's Board training workshops:
- Level 1 Safeguarding Children
- Level 2 Safeguarding Children
- Identifying Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Pre-Pubescent Children
- Identifying Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Adolescents
I have also completed Mental Health England's 'Youth Mental Health First Aid' course.
I am committed to my ongoing personal and professional development by attending CPD workshops/courses.
I have over 20 years experience working with children and young people. Previously, I have worked for the following organisations:
- Youth Information Counselling Unit in Beverley (working with young people aged 13 to 25 years old),
- Youth Counselling Unit in Hull (working with young people aged 10 to 25 years old),
- YPSS Counselling Service in Hull (working with young people aged 13 to 25 years old).
- Lincoln University's Counselling Service (working with university students aged 18 upwards),
- Additionally, I have completed a 2 year placement at Hull University’s Counselling Service (working with university students aged 18 upwards).
Currently, I work in private practice seeing children, young people and adults and I am based at the Ellesmere Centre, Hull. I also offer counselling to young people (aged 11 to 18 years old) in two Hull secondary schools.
I am a Senior Accredited member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
I am also a member of the BACP's Children and Young People Division.
My practice is informed by the BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
I hold a current enhanced DBS check certificate.
I also hold professional indemnity insurance.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also work with a range of issues affecting children and young people:
- Bullying and cyberbullying
- Family secrets
- Family break up and parents separating / divorcing
- Moving Schools (from primary school to secondary school and leaving school)
- Relationship issues (with friends and family)
There is no problem too big or too small to discuss in counselling.
Photos & videos
Counselling at the Ellesmere Centre:
I charge £40 per session.
I can accept payment by cash or a cheque, or bank transfer.
I can also provide you with a receipt, if required.
Counselling in Schools/Academies:
I am happy to offer counselling at your school or academy (with school's or academy's permission).
Please get in contact with me to agree fees.
I am able to offer counselling at either the Ellesmere Centre or in Schools/Academies.
There is a car park at the rear of the Ellesmere Centre.
If you would like to arrange a counselling appointment in your school or academy, please do get in contact to discuss this with me.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
The Ellesmere Centre has a wheelchair accessible counselling room. It also has an accessible toilet. No steps.
I offer appointments for counselling and supervision on Mondays and Tuesdays 900am to 600pm.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a Person Centered supervisor and have been providing supervision since 2008.View supervision profile