Joanne Wood MA MBACP Counsellor and Psychotherapist
I am a psychotherapist and counsellor offering support in the Midlands.
I have a degree in Psychology, a Masters degree in Relationship Therapy, additional training in working with young people, families, mental health and ASD. 8 years experience working with Relate and further work with individuals dealing with work related stress, anxiety and depression. I am also a registered member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
What I can offer:
- A free no obligation telephone consultation to discuss your needs
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Systemic Therapy
- Couple Therapy
- Relationship Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Child Therapy
- Individual Therapy
- Long and short term work
- Flexible appointments
I am trained in more than one counselling theory, therefore I can adapt my approach to your needs. My main approaches are systemic which looks for what is happening between people, and is therefore helpful with relationship therapy. My other main approach is psychodynamic which looks at what is happening within the individual and is helpful when the difficulty comes from the subconscious.
I work with different client groups and therefore can offer individual sessions, sessions with your partner, members of the family of any age, and can be adaptable as the work progresses.
At the centre of my work is you. I will always work with the changes that you want in mind. You are the expert on your life and it is my job to support you through the difficulties that arise.
1. You can contact me by phone or email to express your interest in starting counselling. You are under no obligation to book but this contact will allow us to start a dialogue.
2. I will reply by phone or email and offer a free telephone consultation. This is at a time convenient to you and allows you to ask any questions and for me to get an understanding of what you require. If you do not want the telephone consultation, we can talk via email.
3. Once all your queries are answered, you can decide whether you want to book counselling with me. I book clients week by week, so you are only committing to one session at a time. Some clients choose to come weekly and others fortnightly. The choice is yours.
4. Once we have had our first counselling session, you will have had chance to really talk over in detail what has been troubling you, and I can explain how I can help you with that. We can then decide how to move forward and a second session can be booked if you choose.
5. We will work session by session until you decide you wish to end the counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA (distinction) Relationship Therapy
- BSc (hons) Psychology
- MBACP Reg.
- Additional training in working with:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Adult survivors of sexual abuse
- Mental health
- Couples affected by depression
- Families affected by alcohol
- Separation Anxiety
- Anxiety and Depression
- Counselling skills with Children: The Child Centre for Mental Health
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Changes in family dynamics
- Life transitions
Photos & videos
Individual, child, couple and family counselling £50.00 (50 minute session)
Initial consultation by phone FREE
Fees are requested at the beginning of each session.
Hilton is located between Derby and Burton upon Trent, with easy access from the A50 and A38. The venue has free on street parking.
There is a regular bus service from Burton and Derby to Hilton.
Directions available on request.
Please do contact me with any questions you may have.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening appointments available, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Daytime appointments available on Fridays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|