Joanne Regina, M.A., Psychotherapist and EMDR Therapist
I am an accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist and EMDR therapist with over fourteen years clinical experience providing psychological therapy in England and the United States. I hold a Master's Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counselling and graduate certification in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Central Florida, which is ranked as a top ten graduate programme for counselling and psychotherapy in the United States. For additional information about my clinical training, please visit https://ccie.ucf.edu/counselored/.
I have worked extensively in the field of addiction and co-occurring disorders including anxiety disorders, depression, trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, and personality disorders. I have had the privilege of working with a vast range of individuals including children, teens, adults, couples, families, military personnel, veterans and the uniformed services (Police, Prison Officers, Fire Service, Paramedics) in a variety of different settings including outpatient, hospital, non-for-profit organisations, schools, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and within the NHS.
I am very passionate about the military community. I am an Armed Forces Champion, providing therapy and support to veterans and their families within West Kent.
My objective is to provide an emotionally safe, transparent, and non-judgmental environment where you may explore your issues. I am committed to working alongside my clients and guiding them towards understanding, integration, and wholeness, while creating a strong therapeutic relationship that is grounded in comfort, honesty, and trust that is essential to the healing process.
My practice is informed from an integrative approach drawing upon theory and techniques from evidence-based models in which I have received extensive training including Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and Schema Therapy. I believe that by working collaboratively we will work out which approach is most appropriate for you.
I am passionate about my work and strongly believe that therapy can bring positive change and improvement to people’s lives. I recognise each individual as unique and benefiting from different things at different times in their lives.
My goal is to help you become self-empowered, realising your full potential, while making and maintaining positive changes to your life. In short, I strive to assist you in:
- Exploring disturbing life evenings including significant traumas in a safe and non-judgemental manner
- Learning to tolerate difficult emotions with support
- Building trust in your capacity for healing and personal growth
Feeling empowered to take an active role in your physical and psychological wellness
I offer both short-term and long-term individual counselling and psychotherapy for individuals age 17+.
Through extensive training and therapeutic experience I have developed an in-depth understanding of numerous psychological difficulties including:
- Adjustment to life events and changes
- Childhood trauma and attachment issues
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Depression (emptiness, a loss of sense of self)
- Intense emotions (anger, guilt, jealousy, shame)
- Emotional, physical, and sexual abuse
- Generalised anxiety and excessive worry
- Loss and bereavement
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessions and compulsions
- PerfectionismRelationship and interpersonal difficulties
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Specific fears and phobias
- Stress management
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master of Arts in Counsellor Education: Clinical Mental Health Counseling; University of Central Florida, United States
- Graduate Certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy; University of Central Florida, United States
- Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and Psychology; Queens College, City University of New York, United States
- Individual Schema Therapy Certification; The Schema Therapy Institute
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Parts I, II, & III: Richman EMDR Training
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Skills Training (Level 1); Behavioral Tech, Linehan Institute Training
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Canterbury Christ Church University
- British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- EMDR Association UK & Ireland
- EMDR International Association
- International Society of Schema Therapy
I am committed to professional development as an opportunity to expand my knowledge and strengthen my clinical skill set. Recent trainings I have attended include:
- Healing the Heart of Complex Trauma and Dissociation with EMDR and Ego State Therapy
- EMDR: Feeling State Addiction Protocol
- Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice
- Treating Trauma Master Series
- The Flash Technique: Making Trauma Memories More Accessible EMDR Processing
- EMDR Therapy & Mindfulness for Trauma-Focused Care
- Working with Shame
- Treating Concurrent PTSD in Patients with Borderline Personality Disorder: Principles and Evaluation of DBT for PTSD
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with Childhood Traumatic Grief
- Attachment-Focused EMDR: Healing Developmental Deficits and Adults Abused as Children
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Self Esteem
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for Trauma and PTSD
- Transformational Chairwork
- Memory Focused Approaches in Cognitive Therapy for PTSD
- Compassion Focused Therapy for Depression
- Trauma, Dissociation, and Recovery- Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors
- Making Trauma Therapy Safer- The Psychophysiology of Trauma and PTSD
- Emotional Regulation & Crisis Survival Skills: Integrating DBT Skills into Clinical Practice
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Military Personnel
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
My standard fees are based on my clinical experience and specialised trainings.
Telephone consultation: Free (20 minutes)
Individual session: £50 (1 hour) £70 (1.5 hour)
Payment is expected on the day of your appointment. I accept payments via cash, bank transfer, or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay)
Fees for organisational work is negotiated separately and require payment within 14 days. Please contact me to enquire.
Private Medical Insurance
I am a recognised therapy provider with most of the major health insurance companies:
AXA PPP Healthcare
Healix Health Services
These sessions must be pre-authorised so you have to contact your insurance provider first to discuss provision of therapy. Fees for therapy funded by insurers may vary depending on your policy and may have an excess fee that you would be responsible for. Your provider will be able to offer you additional information on funding procedures.
I require 24 hour advanced notice if you need to cancel an appointment. You will be charged for any missed appointments, or appointments that are cancelled without 24 hour notice. Please be aware that insurance does not cover late cancelations or missed appointments.
Appointment slots are valuable, therefore your advanced notification of any cancellations is much appreciated.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer weekday/evening and Saturday (morning) appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|