Joanne McCarthy - MBACP, BA (hons)
Hi I am Joanne, and I am here to help with whatever is causing you emotional pain or distress.
It may be that you are feeling anxious and or depressed. It may be that following a bereavement you are experiencing painful and or confusing emotions. You may be experiencing relationship difficulties. You may be feeling stressed due to work or life pressures. You may be in the process of making changes in your personal or work life which are causing you to feel emotional distress. You may be experiencing distress, anxiety, flashbacks or nightmares due to experiences in childhood. You may be experiencing trauma related symptoms due to a traumatic event or incident.
Whatever is challenging you, together in a non-judgemental way we can explore the issues and or experiences which are causing you emotional pain, distress, and or trauma symptoms.
I have created my own therapy room in my home which gives us the space to work together in a calming, safe and secure place to explore whatever is causing you emotional distress. Together we can work through past and present experiences to support you in gaining a greater understanding of yourself, enable you to make decisions and move through and on from the issues or experiences which are causing you emotional pain.
Home visits are possible; please contact me to discuss this option.
I offer a warm, personal, confidential and professional service, providing counselling to individuals aged 18+.
Training, qualifications & experience
My training, qualifications and experience include:
- BA (hons) counselling and psychotherapy.
- Transactional analysis 101 certificate.
- Suicide awareness training by ASSIST.
- Pre-trial therapy training by Trust House Lancashire.
- Grief and loss training by Reflect.
- Safeguarding training by Lancashire Safeguarding Board.
- Working with survivors of rape, or childhood sexual abuse by Trust House Lancashire.
- First aid training by British Red Cross.
- L3 award in education and training.
My core approach is person-centred with a focus on experiential and emotion focused work, although I have integrated additional training on trauma into my practice. I have particular experience working with bereavement and loss, trauma (including PTSD), stress, depression and anxiety.
I have experience:
- As a trainer for a charity, supporting those affected by rape, sexual violence and or sexual abuse in childhood.
- Within a large public sector organisation in various roles, inclusive of coaching, mentoring, people leadership and development.
My membership of professional organisations include:
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Registered (MBACP).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Photos & videos
- Initial 30 minute face to face or telephone consultation - FREE
- Subsequent 1hr sessions - £30 each
Appointments are available weekday/evening/Saturday morning.
Counselling can be short or long term depending on your requirements.
If if for some reason I am unable to answer your call please leave your contact details and I will call you back as soon as I can.
I am based in Newton le Willows:
- 10 min walk from Newton le Willows railway station.
- 15 min walk from Earlstown railway station.
Car parking available.
I hold professional indemnity insurance.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday and Friday's 8am - 4pm, Tuesday to Thursday 6pm - 9pm, Saturday 9am - 1pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|