Joanne Lawton PG Dip MBACP (Accred)
I am a qualified and experienced counsellor working in central Brighton.
It can be difficult to express our innermost feelings with family and friends, leading to a sense of being ‘stuck’ or on our own. I have the skills to help you disentangle complex feelings, leading to a better sense of emotional balance.
People come to counselling for many different reasons. You may feel that life is an ongoing struggle from which you have never quite gained a sense of wellbeing. Maybe a single event has brought you to a crises point.
My aim in the counselling relationship is help you to make sense of your living experience and to empower you to feel more integrated as a result. Ultimately, I believe that if we are mindful of our feelings, we are able to shift from a destructive way of being to something that is more creative.
I work in a psychodynamic way, which focuses on the underlying and sometimes unconscious causes of our distress. Conflicting emotions may often be rooted in previous experiences. I aim to provide a safe and mindful place, which will allow you to explore painful/difficult feelings and believe that with me you may discover a new awareness of self.
I am also a trained experienced CBT therapist which can be particularly useful in working with compulsions, anxiety, low self esteem, eating disorders and intrusive thoughts.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 20 years experience working with people experiencing a crises in mental heath, support and management of mental health services.
- 6 years experience one to one counselling with people over a focused period of around 8-12 weeks or where more suitable, longer term therapy.
- Alongside my private practice, I work at the Rock Clinic in Brighton. This is a charitable organization offering affordable therapies to the Brighton community; this work is mainly longer-term counselling.
-2 years working as a CBT therapist at Sussex University Counselling Service providing focused therapy
- PG Dip Psychodynamic Counselling
- MBACP (Accred)(Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
I offer an initial consultation to talk though how you may be helped by counselling and allow you to decide whether I am the right therapist for you. For this I charge £20.
Consultation charges are £45 per session with concessions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.