The Complete Psychotherapy, Counselling & Well-being Practice
42 Borough High Street
07887 545 703
I offer short, medium and long term work depending on what seems most advisable. I meet with clients individually or in groups. We would have an introductory meeting to see how we get on and to discuss what therapy might best suit you.
I go along with the usual distinction between counselling and therapy: that counselling focusses on a particular problem or stage in life, and that therapy is about ongoing patterns of behaving and relating to others.
My training is psychoanalytic and psychodynamic. That is to say, we (you and I) include the unconscious as well as conscious aspects of feelings and behaviour. I am also experienced in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) and familiar with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) which focusses, as it says on the label, on your cognition, your thoughts, triggers and coping strategies. In addition, I find an existential approach applies to many difficulties, including those associated with ageing and coming to terms with the challenges of life.
My training was as a Group-analytic psychotherapist. This offers a broad perspective to working with individuals: we are all members of one group or another. Both individual and group therapy are suited to many emotional and psychological difficulties whether ongoing or acute. Group-analytic psychotherapy is particularly suited to people who would like to understand and improve the way they relate to others, whether at work, home or socially.
In practice and after a thorough assessment following the introductory meeting, I would use whichever mixture of approaches would appear to be helpful to you. A substantial part of therapy is a good collaborative conversation.
Training, qualifications & experience
My first degree was a BA in Psychology and Social Anthropology. I have further qualifications in secondary and further education, advocacy and counselling.
I have a Postgraduate Diploma in Group-analytic Psychotherapy (Westminster Pastoral Foundation), am a registered member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and a member of the Group Analytic Society International (GASI).
I have been a Board Director of the Foundation for Psychotherapy & Counselling (FPC). The earlier part of my professional career was as a teacher, trainer, advocate and counsellor, working with adults and young people.
In addition to my practice at Number 42 and in north London, I
- Worked for many years in the psychotherapy department of NHS teaching hospitals where I experienced the widest range of diagnoses ranging from anxiety and depression to borderline personality, schizophrenic and bipolar disorders.
- Facilitated for many years a self-management training programme for those with bipolar disorder
- Tutor and conduct groups on psychotherapy and counselling trainings.
- Co-lead a Balint group group for GPs.
- Co-facilitate a group for teachers
- Facilitate reflective practice groups for staff teams in mental health and academic settings.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Depression associated with ageing.
Depression associated with illness.
Work relationships and stress.
Fees are negotiable. A rule of thumb is 1/1000th of your income + £20 admin costs. I have some availability for reduced fee work if you are on benefits or low income.
- North London: 3 mins walk from bus stop/15 mins walk from Golders Green Tube station (Northern Line). No parking restrictions. Access is not suitable for wheelchairs; my consulting room is on the ground floor.
- London Bridge : no parking but 2 mins walk from London Bridge Station with all its rail and Tube connections....and from the famous Borough Market. Access is not suitable for wheelchairs; my consulting room is on the 2nd floor. There is no lift.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please contact me for availability
Types of client