Hello, I’m Jo.
I understand people seek counselling for many different reasons and that taking the first steps can feel daunting, that includes finding the right counsellor for you.
Perhaps I can tell you a little about my approach and my experience to help you decide whether you feel we could work together. I passionately believe in the healing potential of being truly listened to and heard and that’s what I strive to offer; a confidential space in which you feel safe to explore yourself and whatever is troubling you. For me it’s about finding out what’s going on for you. Working together to support you in exploring and drawing upon your own resources, to gain greater awareness and understanding of yourself, your behaviours, to make sense of past or current events, relationships or life situation. To support you in your pursuit of emotional or mental well-being, to make the changes you want to make. As your counsellor my role is to support you through your journey rather than to give you advice or tell you what is best for you.
I have counselled in NHS primary care within a health centre and in a university counselling unit and so have experience of a wide range of issues.
- One-to-one, face-to-face person-centred counselling for adults (over 16 years old)
- Short or long term counselling
- Daytime, evening and weekend appointments in Stirling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling, University of Strathclyde.
- Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). You can check my membership on the professional register here http://www.bacpregister.org.uk/ This confirms that I trained to the professional standards required on an accredited course and that I work within the BACP ethical framework.
- Worked in primary care in a health centre and in University counselling unit.
- Experience of wide range of issues including, anxiety, depression, bereavement, relationship difficulties, trauma, abuse, personal development.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£37.00 per session
Free initial online session
The cost of each counselling session is £37, payable by electronic transfer on the day of each session.
I ask that 24hrs notice of cancellation is given. Cancellation of a session with less than 24 hours notice, or failure to attend a scheduled appointment will be charged at the full rate.
Coronavirus update In-person appointments suspended. Videocall/ phone appointments available: Mon: 10.00 - 18.30, Tues: 10.00 - 18.30, Wed: 09.00 - 15.00, Fri: 09.00 - 15.00
- My counselling room is approx a mile from the centre of Stirling and is fully wheelchair accessible with on-site parking
- I am registered as a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act 1998. Registration Number: ZA096431. This ensures that all personal information I hold is kept securely and processed in accordance with requirements of the Act.