Jim Aberdein, Human Givens Counsellor and Psychotherapist, HG.Dip.P., MHGI
We live in challenging times. Many of us are grappling with difficulties such as unravelling relationships or job insecurity. You might be feeling anxious and tearful, lacking energy and motivation, or struggling with persistent worries or painful memories. Some of us are grieving for lost friends or relatives. All of us feel the impact of the pandemic. These pressures and emotions can make it harder to think straight and move forward.
If you recognize yourself in this, I can help. I am an experienced Human Givens counsellor and psychotherapist, practised at enabling people to find the resources they need to gain emotional balance, relief from distress and practical solutions to the difficulties life can throw at us. People come to see me when they want understanding and fast, effective results.
I work with people living with a range of conditions. Beyond depression, anxiety, panic attacks and sleep disorders, these include phobias, post-traumatic stress, all kinds of addiction, poor concentration, confidence issues and more.
Change is easier than you think. Most people can be helped in 4-6 sessions, although some people only need one or two and others with more complex difficulties may require more. My aim is to help you in as few sessions as possible.
Along with my therapeutic experience, I am grateful for the lessons I have learned working as a trainer, coach, manager and teacher for over 30 years, in settings ranging from the care and support branch of one of the UK’s largest housing associations to a major environmental charity and language schools in Rome and London.
If what you read here sounds like it's what you're looking for, get in touch now by email or phone: you can book a first session today; or request a 15-minute initial phone call so I can answer any questions you might still have.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Tel: 07852 691629
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a member of the Human Givens Institute, and earned its diploma with distinction in 2015. I am enrolled on the Institute’s professional register, which is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSA). The Human Givens approach is also supported by Primary Care Mental Health Education (Primhe), affiliated with the Royal College of General Practitioners.
Human Givens Diploma (HG.Dip.P.), Human Givens Institute
Post Graduate Certificate in Human Givens Psychotherapy, Nottingham Trent University
BA (Hons) Biology, University of York
Registered Member of the Human Givens Institute (MHGI) and Member of the European Therapy Studies Institute (ETSI),
Human Givens Institute
The Human Givens Institute (HGI) is both a membership organisation and a professional body representing the interests of those in the caring and teaching professions who have an interest in or utilise the human givens approach. Counselling Directory register Registered Members (MHGI) and Fellow Members (FHGI), who will have completed the Post Graduate Practitioner's Assessment (Part III) and who are fully qualified to practise as a human givens therapist or counsellor. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £70.00 to £80.00
Free initial telephone session
An 'online' or 'phone' session is £70.00
An 'in person' session takes place outdoors (weather permitting) and is £80.00
A session lasts about an hour
Tuesday - Friday: 9.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Feedback from some of my clients...
- "I was suffering debilitating depression and anxiety following the second wave of Covid-19. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I had never had psychotherapy before, but Jim has a very kind and calm manner which put me at ease and there was no pressure at all. The sessions felt natural and relaxed. Jim taught me practical tools and techniques that have been very useful for lowering my anxiety levels. He also helped me reframe the negative thoughts I was having, which opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at things. And we also did some very relaxing guided imagery. Jim is very person-centred and really got to know me as an individual. He helped me to find joy in my hobbies again. This improved my mood and self-esteem, which in turn has literally allowed me to function. It’s been lovely. I’m playing the guitar and cooking nice meals and enjoying studying. It’s like coming alive again! If you are thinking of reaching out to Jim, I would strongly recommend it. We had 9 Zoom sessions over a couple of months and he has helped me to feel like myself again after years of depression and anxiety." - Grace, ICU Nurse, London
- “The sessions were brilliant. Jim was open, welcoming and understanding and gave me the time I needed to talk. He helped me understand better how I work as a person and gave me strategies to help cope with the new and additional pressures associated with the pandemic. They have been invaluable. I would highly recommend him.” - NHS consultant, Oxfordshire.
- “I left our last session with the self-belief that I can manage my emotional health all by myself.” – Shelly Berry, writer, Waltham Forest Echo.
- “For the first time that I can remember I was completely uplifted and feeling I can achieve something and there is hope.” – Researcher and care worker.
- “I just wanted to thank Jim Aberdein, for the 2 sessions we had, the second one being just to thank him for helping me understand my anxiety. He made me see it as a constructive experience and helped me realise the important things in my life. And if I ever have any issues or know someone who needs help I will definitely recommend him. It was a pleasure and an honour to meet you Jim, and I really enjoyed our last session.”- Raul.
- “Jim Aberdein was very understanding of my anxieties and quickly helped me get back to normal. I was beginning to find it hard to think clearly, and getting anxious about silly things I wouldn't normally - I recognised the signs of stress. Jim listened to all my various issues and was able to help sort through them and show me ways to calm down. Over the course of three weeks (three appointments), I was feeling so much better, back in control.. and relaxed. Thank you Jim.” - Moe.
I am happy to accept insurance, organisation and NHS referrals.
Please get in touch with me now:
Call or text: 07852 691629