Jessica Leigh, MBACP-registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist
Feeling overhelmed, anxious or depressed?
Whatever's on your mind, I can support you to make sense of it safely and move forward with greater understanding and confidence.
- You may be feeling 'too' sensitive and stressed or be struggling with current or historic relationship, family or work problems affecting self-esteem.
- You might be battling with unresolved loss or trauma, confidence and assertiveness issues, or anxiety symptoms. These are difficult feelings that can lead to obsessive thinking, insularity or disordered eating (for example).
- You could be trying to understand a sense of 'failure' or disappointment, 'Imposter Syndrome', a negative mind-set or dysfunctional relationship patterns, and be looking for support with potential for real and lasting change.
Or, you might just have a vague sense of despondency. Some people have no idea what they feel when coming Therapy, simply a sense that something is 'off'.
A warm, intelligent and experienced Humanistic Therapist (Existential/Integrative), I provide effective short and long-term counselling psychotherapy to adult individuals online or by phone and when I can, also in person.
Competent and compassionate, with a good sense of humour, I have been privileged to witness extraordinary transformation in therapeutic relationships with a diverse range of clients. Some clients come for a few weeks, others for years - it is up to the individual.
A former TV producer, I changed tack when chronic illness and unhappiness forced a confrontation with myself and some major lifestyle changes. Cyncial at first (feelings, what?) my own experience of Therapy was revelatory. Now long-qualified as a BACP-registered practitioner I continue to learn, adding knowledge and skills to the tool-box such as such as sensory processing, relationship work and neuroscience. I have an endless fascination with our shared human condition and will always be interested and listening closely to your own, unique, experience.
Good Therapy should be a restorative adventure. My approach is collaborative, relaxed, friendly and attentive. Carefully boundaried and respectful at all times, the aim is to help you understand yourself more fully both by identifying your drivers (assumptions, principles, values and goals) then noticing, together, the behavioural and emotional patterns and habits associated with these.
Are you living according to your OWN desires? Does your thinking actually match your feeling? By making connections bewteen these areas, we can join the thoughts between your thoughts and feelings and from that point, you should feel more able to make useful decisions and positive changes. Overall and over time, the hope is you'll feel a lot better.
It can be an enormous relief to face troubling feelings. Quality Therapy helps us to understand ourselves more deeply, enabling positive change and identifying pathways to a more fulfilling and authentic future.
Specialist areas include:
- Depression, Anxiety and Overwhelm.
- Working with gifted and high-achieving adults including high profile individuals (in absolute confidence). I have a background in Media and particular insight into the pressures of high-octane careers.
- Toxic, Coercive and Narcissistic Relationships and difficult break-ups.
- Somatic and High Sensitivity issues (for example HSP and processing challenges).
I have no rules or requirements around how many or few sessions take place, as I consider that entirely up to you. They just need to be committed and regular once we start.
Online sessions are 55 minutes long and cost £80.00.
In person sessions are 50 minutes and cost £80.00
I have a number of low cost sessions for £60.00 - these are currently full.
Due to heavy demand, I operate a 24 hour cancellation policy. Same day cancellations will be charged at full cost.
I take up regular professional development opportunities, have qualified confidential supervision and will always adhere to BACP guidelines of ethics and professionalism.
Please get in touch for an initial assessment.
Training, qualifications & experience
Post-Graduate Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling; University of Brighton (Distinction.)
LTCL Teacher’s Diploma; Trinity College London.
BA Developmental Psychology, English Literature, Arts and Languages; University of Auckland.
CPD Psychotherapeutic training includes:
- Neuroscience and Psychoimmunology, BPS-approved Clinical Supervision Skills, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), Relationship and Couples Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT); Trauma and Bereavement, Domestic Abuse, Psychological Assessments, Eating Disorders, LGBT* and Identity Therapy and Mindfulness.
I have also facilitated and developed anger management and self-esteem groups.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Gifted and highly sensitive adults
Toxic and Coercive Relationships
Individual sessions - £80.00
I offer several low cost spaces for £50.00 to lower-waged or students, though these are often full.
Please get in touch to request an initial assessment session.
I look forward to hearing from you.
I have a particular interest in Somatic and Sensitivity related issues (SPS), Highly Sensitive people (HSP), Gifted Adults (or who were termed or perceived to be gifted children) and High-Achieving adults.