Jean Staff UKCP BSc(Hons)
I am a qualified, professional counsellor offering both short and long term counselling. I work from a consulting room in my home in Walsham-le-Willows. I am an integrative psychotherapeutic counsellor registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). You will receive a warm welcome and be offered a confidential, safe service that you can trust.
My counselling approach is based on the belief that good mental and emotional life is created in nurturing, safe relationships, while abusive or unsatisfying relationships will lead to unhappiness and psychological distress. Difficulties in our relationships with others can affect how we feel about ourselves and damage our relationship with ‘the self’. Sometimes, this then leads to destructive and unhelpful coping strategies such as addictions or shutting down and withdrawing from relationships because they seem frightening or rejecting.
My aim is to help you to explore the past and present so that you can have a more satisfying future, one in which you will experience more rewarding and satisfying relationships with others and with yourself. Through our counselling therapeutic relationship, you can have a future with more flexibility and freedom to make positive choices and so reach your full potential.
Training, qualifications & experience
BSc (Hons) in Integrative Counselling
Matrix College Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling
Diploma in Integrative Counselling
Certificate in Counselling
- I have a number of years experience working as a counsellor with MIND a mental health charity in Bury St Edmunds and also more recently with a Women's Aid agency in Ipswich. I have worked with a very wide range of issues including anxiety, depression, family and relationship issues, loss and bereavement, addictions, abuse, obsessions, body image issues etc.
I have attended additional training as follows:
- Self Esteem and Body Esteem - How to improve client's estimation of themselves and their bodies.
- Creative methods - Using Sand Tray in a Counselling Setting
- Working Therapeutically with Disordered Eating
- The Fragile Self: Working with Narcissistic vulnerability
- Healing the Traumatised Mind, Brain and Body - Dr Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Attachment theory - an integrationist approach
- Trauma and the Body
- Counselling for people with Dementia and their carers
- Transgender Awareness
- Creative therapy
- Domestic Violence
In addition to my private practice, I also teach counselling skills and theory at West Suffolk College in Bury St Edmunds.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
Photos & videos
My fees are £45.00 per session. However lower rates are available eg for students and this can be discussed and agreed in the first session. Sessions are for 50 minutes.
The first session is a no obligation assessment session where we can meet each other. This gives you the opportunity to meet me face to face and talk about the issues that have brought you to counselling.
There is no need for you to decide during this session whether you wish to proceed with counselling or not. This session will be at the reduced rate of £35.00.
I have a warm, friendly approach and aim to help clients feel at ease. During our sessions you will not experience long periods of silence interspersed with the occasional nod of my head. Although I believe sessions should be client led I also believe my full involvement requires active inquiry and responsiveness.
You don't have to struggle on alone, take the first step towards feeling better and contact me today.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available for appointments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and will be as flexible as possible.
Types of client