Jean Staff UKCP BSc(Hons)
I am a qualified, professional counsellor offering both short and long term counselling. I work from a consulting room in my home in Walsham-le-Willows and also the town centre of Bury St Edmunds. I am an integrative psychotherapeutic counsellor registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). You will receive a warm welcome and be offered a confidential, safe service that you can trust.
I can work with any emotional or psychological issue including:
- Bereavement and Loss
- Relationship issues
My counselling approach is based on the belief that good mental and emotional life is created in nurturing, safe relationships, while abusive or unsatisfying relationships will lead to unhappiness and psychological distress. Difficulties in our relationships with others can affect how we feel about ourselves and damage our relationship with ‘the self’. Sometimes, this then leads to destructive and unhelpful coping strategies such as addictions or shutting down and withdrawing from relationships because they seem frightening or rejecting.
My aim is to help you to explore the past and present so that you can have a more satisfying future, one in which you will experience more rewarding and satisfying relationships with others and with yourself. Through our counselling therapeutic relationship, you can have a future with more flexibility and freedom to make positive choices and so reach your full potential.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully qualified and UKCP accreditated Psychotherapeutic Counsellor
- Over 1500 hours of clinical practice over 7 years
- BSc(Hons) in Integrative Counselling - Matrix College (Nov 2015)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Supervision - The Sherwood Psychotherapy Training Institute in Nottingham (due to complete January 2020)
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling
- Cava Certificate in Counselling 2010
- 4 years working in private practice
- 4 years working with the mental health charity Suffolk Mind
- 1 year working with Domestic Abuse at Lighthouse Women's Aid
- Lecturer/Trainer - 2 years working as a Counselling Tutor at West Suffolk College
- Self employed trainer providing CPD/workshops to student counsellors
- Associate Counsellor for a number of EAP (Employment Assistance Program) providers counselling employees across a variety of sectors including the NHS, Local Government, Police, Education, Utilities, Insurance etc.
- Active member of the Matrix Members Committee
I have attended additional professional development training as follows:
- Self Esteem and Body Esteem - How to improve client's estimation of themselves and their bodies.
- Creative methods - Using Sand Tray in a Counselling Setting
- Working Therapeutically with Disordered Eating
- The Fragile Self: Working with Narcissistic vulnerability
- Healing the Traumatised Mind, Brain and Body - Dr Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Attachment theory - an integrationist approach
- Trauma and the Body
- Counselling for people with Dementia and their carers
- Transgender Awareness
- Creative therapy
- Domestic Violence
In 2016, I and a colleague, created Self Sense Development and Training, a self reflective experiential training body. We offer training workshops to people interested in learning more about themselves or those interested in learning about counselling theory and practice.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fees are £45.00 per session. However lower rates are available eg for students and this can be discussed and agreed in the first session. Sessions are for 50 minutes.
The first session is a no obligation assessment session where we can meet each other. This gives you the opportunity to meet me face to face and talk about the issues that have brought you to counselling.
There is no need for you to decide during this session whether you wish to proceed with counselling or not. This session will be at the reduced rate of £35.00.
I have a warm, friendly approach and aim to help clients feel at ease. During our sessions you will not experience long periods of silence interspersed with the occasional nod of my head. Although I believe sessions should be client led I also believe my full involvement requires active inquiry and responsiveness.