Janni Duval (Accredited Reg. MBACP) Counsellor/Psychotherapist
41 Tregease Road
Thank you for reading my profile. I have been working as a therapist since 1994, with men, women, young people, couples, and families. I use a number of different approaches to suit individual needs, although my primarily method of working is person-centred.
Sometimes you need someone to listen to you when you're feeling low, someone who is unconnected from your situation, who won't be judging or advising, simply listening with care and understanding. Life can sometimes feel completely overwhelming and I offer you time and space to explore and understand your troubling thoughts and feelings in a safe place.
I understand that talking to someone about personal and painful issues may seem very daunting, therefore I offer our first assessment session at a reduced fee with no obligation as it provides an opportunity for you to decide if you wish to continue to work together. I will value your identity, treat you with respect and dignity, and help you find a way out of your difficulties.
Counselling and psychotherapy covers a range of talking therapies which helps resolve emotional, psychological, Health and relationship issues. There may also be periods of difficulties and distressing events such as bereavement, divorce, health, depression, stress as well as job related stresses.
I have worked extensively with alcohol, drug and other dependencies, with the client, their families, partners,and friends. There is often a broad range of underlying feelings of anxiety, guilt, and sometimes of life dissatisfaction.
In the past I have watched clients lives become easier and less emotionally burdened, giving them a sense of freedom and acceptance, opening up new opportunities, possibilities and potential.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling/Psychotherapy B.A.C.P Senior Accreditation.
- B.A.C.P Ethical framework.
- Certificate in Counselling.
- The 12 Step program.
- Brief therapy, drug & alcohol, working with individuals and families.
- Art therapy first year degree.
- Child protection multi agency training program.
- Child and adolescent mental health service.
- C.B.T cognitive behavioural therapy.
- Drug and the law; with Release.
- Transactional Analysis.
- Teaching, adult education certificate 7303.
- Domestic violence.
- Accreditation volunteer alcohol counsellor.
- Telephone counsellor, Broardreach house residential rehabilitation centre.
- Counsellor Harbour centre alcohol & advisory service day centre.
- Freshfield service counsellor/psychotherapist & development, regional manager.
- Dartmoor prison facilitating therapenticing group work & education.
- Criminal justice, counselling.
- working in partnership Probation.
- Schools including special needs Key stage 3, group work drug & alcohol education & drama.
- D.A.R.G. Alcohol reference groups.
- Cornwall partnership NHS foundation trust.
- Domestic violence forum.
- Research in individual therapy.
Training diploma counsellors, social workers, police, teachers, adoptive parents, students, volunteers and trainee counsellors.
My learning is ongoing, as with all professional and personal work, there are always new interesting discoveries and challenges, which gives me knowledge and emotional acceptance, wisdom, and growth.
I am a registered member of the BACP and adhere to their ethical guidelines.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Art therapy/Art psychotherapy
- Arts therapies
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Jungian therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
Our initial 50 minute assessment session is £30.00 with no obligation, as it provides us with an opportunity to get to know one another and to decide if we wish to work together, thereafter my fee is £40.00 per session for an individual.
An assessment session is £35.00 Couples and £65.00 - £75.00 per session thereafter.
I offer a number of spaces at a reduced fee in accordance with a low level of income.
Sessions will be once a week. I offer short or long term therapy, with regular reviews to see how the therapy is going.
Should disabled clients have a suitable, safe and private place in there own dwelling, I am happy to make home visits.
Non-attendance or cancellations of less than 24 hours will be charged.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available during the day and early evenings. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|