Janet Higgins Reg.MBACP. Counselling(indiv/couples), CBT, & Stress management.
A professional integrative counsellor, CBT practitioner (children &adults), hypno-psychotherapist and supervisor of other therapists, experienced in healthcare since 1989,Janet specialises in anxiety,depression,relationship/family issues,stress management, OCD, abuse,eating disorders,addictions,raising self esteem and bereavement. In summary, Janet works with people over short or long term to help them bring about effective change or enhance their well being.
A professional counselling service based on Chorley New Road , open to adults, young people(8 years and upwards) and couples which is within easy reach of Bolton town centre, just on corner of Queensgate Road (opposite Bolton School). Free parking available. Day and evening appointments to suit including Saturdays. Flexible payment packages and concessions available. Free 30 minute consultation !
Of special note!........
- An experienced integrative counsellor,Janet also practices cognitive behavioural therapy, relaxation & mindfulness, and will tailor the counselling approach to suit your needs.
- Janet has also additional training in couples counselling following the relate training model(dealing with relationship issues,family issues, affairs and betrayals).
- In particular, combined with her background as a speech and language therapist specialising in autistic spectrum disorders, Janet is competent and experienced in working within the field of young people (age 8 years up)and the behaviour and relationship problems they present with.
- Janet is also a fully qualified hypno psycotherapist and will advise you on which therapy may be most beneficial to your needs.
Many of us experience times in our lives when we feel under pressure and find it hard to cope, either as a person who has mental, emotional or physical health problems or as a carer.Sometimes we need the support and understanding of someone who can offer another perspective, helping us to see a fresh insight, and clearer view.
JANET is able to offer a variety of counselling approaches to suit individual needs including:
Cognitive Behaioural Therapy
Relaxation, imagery & visualisation
Solution focused Therapy
Person centred Therapy
Children and adolescent counselling.
Packages of care include:
- Individual therapy
- Couples therapy
- Commissioning for Independent Organisations.
Children & young peoples counselling see website for more details
Janet has a history of 10 years working as a speech and language therapist and specialised with children on the autistic spectrum. As a counsellor and CBT therapist, she has undertaken further training as a therapeutic counsellor working with children and adolescents aged 8 years and upwards.
When a child presents with emotional or behaviuoral problems, they are not always able to understand what is happening and why. They may also experience difficulties in finding ways of managing or coping with their problems and sharing how they feel about them: A child therapist can help children understand themselves and their feelings in order that they can learn to express them healthily. The therapist can enable the child/young person to work through their problems and learn how to manage themselves and make better choices.
- Grief and loss
- Behaviour management
- Fears and phobias
- eating disorders
- self harm
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in the theory & practice of counselling
- Diploma in CBT
- Diploma in hypnotherapy and hypno-psycotherapy.
- Diploma in counselling supervision- Inroads Training.
- Couples counselling- further and advanced (relate training model)
- Cert. children and adolescent counselling- MIP
- Dual diagnosis- mental health and substance misuse
- Drugs and Alcohol awareness
- B.Med.Sci.(speech) Hons. 1st class
- Professional Homeopath RSHom
- Member of the BACP
- CRB checked
- Committed to ongoing professional development
- Engages in the recommended monthly supervision
- Member of Counselling North West.
Janet graduated from Sheffield University with a 1st class Honours degree in B.Med.Sci (speech) in 1989 and went on to work with both children & adults for Bolton NHS as a speech & language therapist and specialised in the treatment of Autistic spectrum disorders.
Following a career break to raise a family, she retrained as a counsellor and homeopath. Currently, Janet runs her own private homeopathy clinic & works as a private counsellor for" therapy2go" @ Bridge House, and has volunteered as a counsellor @ MhIST , where she gained considerable experience in mental health problems and their management.
Special interests are:
- anxiety and depression
- couples counselling/relationship issues
- difficulties facing children and adolescents
- seasonal affective disorder
- self esteem
- self harm
- bereavement and loss
- phobias and panic attacks
- eating disorders
- career counselling
- management of chronic pain/fatigue
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- bipolar,PTSD & trauma
From a medical background in Speech & language therapy & homeopathy, Janet is suitably experienced in the understanding of a wide range of medical issues & the drugs used to manage these. She uses her skills to complement treatment they are already getting or as an alternative and takes a holistic approach to their care. She works closely with GP`s/specialists when a client wishes to look to withdraw from medication.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Free introductory 30 minute session to see if counselling is the right option for you.
- Individuals: 50 minute session- £45
- Couples counselling- £50
- Hypnotherapy £70 - for 90minutes- see website for more details
- Concessions available- contact to discuss individual needs.
- A block of six sessions may be paid in advance with a reduction of 10% being given. No refund is given if the six sessions are not taken.
- Day and evening appointments to suit mon-sat.
Payment by cash, cheque or bank transfer after each session.
Minimum 24 hours notice of cancellation required otherwise £25 fee is payable.
Concessions offered for
monday - saturday 8am til late
Appointments arranged at a time to suit you- please contact to discuss.
Counselling takes place in a private and confidential setting within a business premise.
There is free ample parking available at all times just outside the building.
After 5.30 pm there will be parking at front of building.
A waiting room with seating for up to 4 people.