Jane Pickard Counsellor PGDip: BACP Accredited
Operating out of Edinburgh's West End, I offer a therapeutic space for you to explore issues which everyday life may not allow you to attend to.
Consider it a check in, to attend to those areas that you know are not comfortable, causing stress or anxiety which can not be ignored.Maybe this is a time of transition, or loss, maybe you want to improve your relationships, suffer anxiety or depression or are stuck in a rut–. Perhaps things that seemed long in the past are coming back in your mind and preventing you feeling at peace.
Is it time to stop, and consider how aspects of the present which may frustrate or worry you can be looked at and understood? Past events or assumptions can impact on the present. By paying attention to these areas, there is a possibility to begin to understand yourself more clearly and identify areas for future change.
i have a special interest in and specialised training working with the boarding school experience for both adults and teens.
I work with Teens, Young adults 11 plus and parents , I offer counselling to build resilience during the teen period of change and growth, counselling may be appropriate if there are signs of self harm, depression, withdrawal from activities/usual social circle.
Training, qualifications & experience
PG Diploma Counselling, Edinburgh University,
Certificate in working with Children and Young People(Place2Be)
Trained in working with the boarding school experience (Duffield: Boarding School Survivors)
- Boarding School Issues
- self harm,
- suicidal feelings
- panic attacks, stress
- Abuse (emotional, physical and sexual),
- low self esteem, self confidence,
- Work related issues
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Teenage self harm
Boarding school experience
£60 for 50minutes, some concessions available
Initial meeting at no cost
Feel free to contact me by email as you feel comfortable with.
I offer a first meeting, at no cost to ascertain whether counselling is the right step for you, what you would like to achieve through counselling and if we feel we are a good 'fit' to work together.
If that's the case we can find a convenient time to meet weekly.
I do not offer time limited therapy, so can also offer counselling for a longer period if that is required.
- “Interesting and challenging”
- “I have a better perspective of how I come over to other people”
- “My relationship with my wife has improved enormously, I can cope with minor day-to-day challenges without losing my temper. I don't feel cross all the time”
- “I was really shy and nervous but I guess it’s really helped, it’s made me stand up for myself and have confidence.” ( E aged 13)
- “She was insightful, patient and able to see me for who I was, never putting words into my mouth but forced the issue when it was clear I was unwilling to do so myself.”
- “Her interventions were timely and brought direction to our conversation”
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Availability during the day and some evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|