Jane Burton MBACP
Welcome. I work with adults and children from my private rooms in central Buxton. In this safe, confidential space, we will work together to explore how you can bring about the positive life changes that you would like but may currently seem out of reach or impossible.
I believe that we all have the ability to live the way we want to live but it sometimes becomes difficult to see how this is possible. Working with me, I can help you uncover beliefs that prevent you from making changes or seeing the choices that life has to offer. Counselling can help you heal old wounds, deal with current anxieties and stress and get you out of a rut when you don't know what to do next.
My area of specific interest is working with people experiencing debilitating anxiety and depression and feelings of loss that can stop them leading the life they dream of.
We will work together to explore and integrate the different parts of yourself to promote and restore balance. Each client's work is unique to their own story so I use an integrated, holistic model of counselling and bring together my understanding of numerous theories to suit your individual needs. I use concepts within my work that bring about an understanding of how your past experiences have influenced your present beliefs and shaped you and your relationship with others. Where words are not enough, I also work creatively.
The number of sessions varies from person to person and we regularly review our work together so that you are getting the most out of your sessions and you can decide the length of your therapy.
As well as my private practice, I also work as a family and child counsellor in a Hospice.
If you're reading this page and you're not sure how to proceed, just get in touch for a no-obligation chat.
Training, qualifications & experience
Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- BSc(Hons) Reflective Therapeutic Practice
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, University of Derby, Buxton.
- Emotional freedom Technique (EFT) level 1 & 2
- Diploma in Podiatric Medicine
- Fellow of the College of Podiatry, Faculty of Surgery (FCPodS)
- Certificate in education & training
CPD Courses attended
- Protecting Vulnerable adults
- Child Protection
- Teaching Grounding Techniques
- Therapeutic Play awareness
- Exploring suicide and self harm in Young people
- Helping children cope with grief and loss
- Introduction to play within therapy
- Meeting at a busy intersection - shattered hopes and dreams
- Understanding and working with the power of dreams
Training courses delivered
- Trauma and Dissociation (2018 and 2017)
- Understanding emotional abuse (2017)
- Healing the wounded inner child (2017)
- Living with a partner who has died (2017)
- Working with complicated grief (2015)
Enhanced DBS certificate
I previously acted as young people’s mentor and volunteer counsellor for Congleton based charity Visyon, who are committed to improving young people’s emotional well-being. This included 68 hours of small group work with young people in secondary school settings through the use of creative media.
I was a volunteer counsellor in a hospice from November 2011 to 2014, working with adults, children and young people on a 1 to 1 basis.
I worked as a children and young person's counsellor for The Dove Service in Staffordshire 2014-15
As well as my private practice, I currently work in a hospice as a child and family therapist.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Daytime and evening appointments available.
Individual appointments last 50 minutes - £40
Couple's therapy lasts 90 minutes - £60
Payment is either by cash or cheque at each session or you can book and play in blocks if you prefer. Please contact me for availability.
My Buxton practice is conveniently located with free on-street parking.
It is a 10 minute walking distance from the train station and a number of bus stops.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|