Jane Blake MBACP Counsellor for Adults, Young People & Children
Welcome. I am an approachable & experienced counsellor fully qualified to work with Adults, Young People & Children. I work integratively, sensitively & creatively to best suit individual needs. Making initial contact with a counsellor is daunting - but by reading this you have already taken your first step forward!
Maybe you want to explore why something is still having a bad impact upon you, process & say goodbye to persistent negative thoughts, or find a way to cope with your life? Maybe you feel burdened by something, anxious, angry or overwhelmed, or simply curious about life & what it might hold for you?
I invite you to a private, safe place where we can reflect on your concerns to identify your individual & unique needs. With another perspective to consider, you can discover hidden strengths which you didn't realise or had forgotten were there! This process is based on the trusting relationship which I establish between us in order to bring about positive change for you.
As well as talking therapy, I also work creatively as this can be liberating & empowering as another effective way to tell your story. Finding the 'right words' can be impossible & self-expression is essential for mental wellbeing.
I am a registered member of the BACP & undertake regular supervision to ensure I am working ethically. Counselling is a collaborative relationship based on deep trust. I regularly undertake CPD to broaden & deepen my professional practice.
I am currently a volunteer counsellor at Young Devon with Young People aged 11 yrs - 25yrs & I also currently support individual students within further education.
I have voluntary experience at Clarity, a local mental health charity, & at NDADA (North Devon Against Domestic Abuse) & also at Wand on an emergency helpline & counselling recovering addicts.
I have a flexible timetable & am based centrally in Bideford & Barnstaple - both places have nearby parking
Thank you for reading my profile - I hope to hear from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Postqualifying Diploma in Counselling Children & Adolescents
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling Level 4 cpcab (BACP accredited)
- Guided Imagery & Music (GIM) Level 1
- Understanding Autism Certificate NCFE Level 2
- British Sign Language Level 1
- LGBT Awareness Training - the Intercom Trust
- Sexual Abuse: Dealing with Disclosures - (Devon Rape Crisis & Sexual Abuse)
- 'Normal' & 'Abnormal Eating' (BACP)
- The Imprint of Trauma (BACP)
- Attachment - identity development in childhood (BACP)
- Trauma Releasing Exercises (Focus)
- Moving & Being: Creative Ways of Being in Relationship (Iron Mill)
- Digital Media & Young People (NHS)
- Mental Health & Wellbeing in Adolescence (NHS)
- Anxiety Disorders (NHS)
- Self-harm & Risky Behaviours (NHS)
- Private Clients (Adult, Young People, Children)
- Young Devon
- NDADA (North Devon Against Domestic Abuse)
- Therapeutic Talking Group
- Therapeutic Music Group
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
Sessions are hourly & cost £35 - concessions are discretionary.
I offer a complimentary half-hour initial session to ensure I am working within my proficiency level & that you feel comfortable with me.
I am happy to work short term on specific issues or longterm with regular reviews.
You are welcome to phone me or leave a message on my answerphone & I will make contact as soon as I am able.
''Jane has had a wonderful effect on my daughter. My daughter had been struggling to deal with her emotions, especially her anger, over the last year or two. She was very nervous talking to somebody outside of the family but Jane put her immediately at ease & by the end of the first session, she was talking freely about herself''.
''Jane saw my daughter for about 3 months & the change has been amazing. She is now aware of her emotions, how to manage the physical effects in a more positive way & the family home is much calmer ....''
Mrs M December 2018
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekday & weekends, day & evenings
Types of client