Jan Jones, B.A. Registered MBACP. PG Diploma. PG Counselling Supervision
I am passionate about counselling,through my experience of being a client in a particularly challenging time in my life many years ago. I decided to train as a counsellor, I qualified in 2009. I remember how anxious I felt about starting my counselling as a client and try to keep that in mind when meeting a client for the first time.
If you decide after exploring my profile that you would like to know more please get in touch. We can have a brief chat about what you are hoping for from counselling and whether you feel I am someone you could work with. If so we can agree a time that is good for you to arrange a first session and then if it feels right for you, to meet weekly or fortnightly.Generally I have a wait of 2-3 weeks before I am able to start work with new clients.
I work flexible hours so day times, and some early evenings.
Counselling 10-15 minute informal assessment,face to face meeting or call, no charge.
Thereafter £40 per 55 minute session.
I can offer some concessions for people on low incomes and students.
£ 60 per 1.5 hrs. I offer some concessions for counsellors in training.
As a counsellor, I have a professional responsibility to take good care of my clients and my own psychological and emotional well being.This often means I am very well aware of the stresses and strains which affect us day to day as well as with those unexpected life events that can shake us to the core. Given a safe comfortable space and place which offers a non judgemental, sensitive and supportive atmosphere often clients find themselves looking forward in a kindly,hopeful way and not in a fearful one...
Unfortunately, at the moment some of the buildings I work from do not have access for people who have restricted mobility, apologies.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am MBACP Registered Counsellor with a breadth of experience.
- I have a background in Therapeutic massage and Social Work.
- I have a BA in Social Policy and Sociology, and a Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work (University of Wales, Bangor), Postgraduate Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, and Counselling Studies (including CBT).
- I'm also a qualified Counselling Supervisor, (all Counselling qualifications gained at University of Chester).
- I have also worked within the NHS, Cruse, and Educational settings.
- During the past 8 years, I have worked as a Counsellor within Local Government with Children and Young people, in Private practice and for a North Wales charity providing Trauma counselling for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
- I am qualified to work with couples and families as well as individuals and I have substantial experience working with LGBT issues.
- I have an active and long-standing practice in Mindfulness, which forms a grounded foundation in my work.
- I have an interest in neuroscience and creativity and its use in counselling work, and also an interest in nature-based therapy and I offer a flexible and professional approach to all clients.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
BA in Sociology and Social Policy, (University of Bangor 1996)
Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work (University of Bangor 2003)
Postgraduate Diploma in Person Centred Counselling (University of Chester 2009)
Postgraduate Certificate In Counselling Supervision (University of Chester 2014)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory: CSCT (1997)
- Graduate of 8 week Mindfulness Course: University of Bangor (1998)
- Arts in Health: Open College Network (2005)
- Cruse Bereavement Counselling Course: Cruse North Wales (2006)
- Trauma and the Impact on the Body: Norma Howes (2007)
- Therapeutic Accompaniment as a Spiritual Discipline: Brian Thorne (2008)
- Trauma & Mindful Curiosity: Norma Howes & Deborah Robinson (2011)
- Existential Touchstones: Elke Lambers (2011)
- The Mind and Body of Safer Trauma Therapy: Babette Rothschild (2012)
- Mindfulness with Children and Families: Eluned Gould (2013)
- Drugs Now: Liam Watson (2013)
- Supervision in Counselling: Robin Shohet (2014)
- Creative Intervention: Tools and Techniques with Troubled Children: Margot Sunderland (2014)
- Developing Supervisory Awareness of Power Dynamics with Regard to Sexual Violence: Laura Joanknecht, Kathy Raffles, (2015)
- The Power Of Play, Dr Justine Howard, (2015)
- Introduction to Art Therapy, Judith Moss,(2016)
- Person Centred Couples Therapy, Allan Turner and Kate Stubbings,(2016)
- Trauma, Maureen Davies (2016)
- Attachment, Understanding the effects with Children and Teenagers- Nikki Reeves (2017)
- I have completed the ASSIST Suicide Training.
- DBT Skills, Psychwire, (2019)
- Cyber Therapy Kate Anthony ( 2020,currently ongoing)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||Yes|
One of the venues I see clients in is wheelchair accessible- please ask
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I qualified as a supervisor in 2014 at Chester University.View supervision profile