James Williams | Counsellor MBACP | Humanistic Counselling
When you are experiencing relationship or family issues, feeling sad, depressed or anxious talking to a counsellor can really help. I can work with you on these issues by really listening to you without any judgement and creating a safe and trusting relationship that supports your self-exploration, self-awareness and personal development.
Experienced at counselling adults of all ages and from all walks of life and have particular experience at working with parents, carers and young adults. I also have specialist experience at working with highly sensitive people (HSP) and parents of highly sensitive children (HSC) and I am a published author of a collection of books to help parents and carers to understand and support highly sensitive children.
I work relationally which means I will listen closely and be sensitive to your needs focusing on the relationship between us. I will be warm and open providing empathy, trust and presence. With these relationship qualities it is always my intention to hold a safe space for you to explore your inner experience without judgement and create the potential for you to feel more at ease.
Deciding to see a counsellor can be a difficult process. You might be feeling uneasy, vulnerable, confused or overwhelmed I'm easy to talk to and have a peaceful room to see you in, where we can talk confidentially.
I offer an introductory session costing £20 and lasting for one-hour. This can help you to form an opinion of whether you feel I am the right counsellor for you and gives you an opportunity to see my room and its location. It also allows me to understand your needs and issues more thoroughly and to see if my approach is appropriate for you. If you are then happy to continue, we can arrange to meet on a more regular basis ideally weekly each session lasting for one-hour and costing £45. I have a limited number of concessionary spaces please contact me for more details.
Please feel welcome to get in touch by phone or email to discuss any queries you may have about counselling with me.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & Qualifications
- Certificate in Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon.
- BACP Accredited Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Iron Mill College, Exeter, Devon.
- Mindfulness for Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), The Sharpham Trust, Totnes, South Devon.
- Existential Therapy Workshop with Mick Cooper, Iron Mill College
- Psychotherapy and The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) licensed counsellor with Dr Elaine Aron founder and author of The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) and The Highly Sensitive Child (HSC). Also listed on Elaine’s Highly Sensitive Person website as a resource for parents of HSCs. https://hsperson.com/resources/for-parents-of-hsps/
- Parenting from the Inside Out - Course for Mental Health Professionals, Mindsight Institute, Dr Dan Siegel.
- Volunteer counsellor for Counselling for Carers Charity since 2017
- Experienced in counselling parents, carers and highly sensitive people.
- Published author of a collection of books to help understand highly sensitive children and to support them along with their parents, family, friends and carers.
Having grown up and worked on a farm, previously worked for the National Farmers Union (NFU) and studied a BSc (Hons) degree in Marketing and Business Studies at Harper Adams Agricultural College I have a special interest in supporting the mental health of farmers and rural people.
BACP Registered Member 377147. I aspire to follow the BACP Ethical Framework, a copy of which is available online www.bacp.co.uk
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
HSP licensed counsellor/therapist, psychotherapy and counselling for Highly Sensitive People (HSP).
Mentoring and counselling for parents and carers of highly sensitive children (HSC).
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
Each session lasts for one hour, unless we have previously arranged otherwise.
The first introductory session is at a reduced fee of £20.
£45 is then my standard charge for each subsequent session.
I do offer a limited number of concessionary spaces please contact me for further details.
Payment is by cash or card at the beginning or end of a session whichever you prefer.
I have a broad and varied experience of life; born and brought up on a small dairy farm in Shropshire, previously worked in the wine, catering and the financial services industry.
Since 2006 I have been privileged to be the primary carer for my two lovely daughters.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesdays: 8.00am - 7.30pm Thursdays: 8.00am - 7.30pm
Types of client