James Hodgkinson MSc UKCP
I work with clients on a broad range of issues; from a life-crisis when you need to talk to someone, to people who want to spend time exploring and discovering who they are and want to make lasting changes in areas of life they are stuck in.
I support you to explore what is of interest to you and to increase your understanding and awareness of yourself through holding non-judgemental acceptance. I firmly believe how or who we are now was a positive response to the difficult environment we faced when our original adjustment was made. Through understanding this, you can begin to reclaim parts of you that are important but might have been forgotten. My Gestalt approach includes the view that bodies hold a wealth of knowledge and when listened to can begin to melt old patterns which we may have carried within our bodies since childhood.
I am well supported in individual and group supervision and abide by the UKCP ethical framework and code of practice.
Training, qualifications & experience
I'm a qualified and UKCP registered psychotherapist and have been working in Bristol since 2014, originally in the field of addiction. Prior to becoming a psychotherapist, I worked with organisations as a 1:1 coach and facilitator for over 15 years, and then in my 40s trained in a five-year MSc in Gestalt (a humanistic approach) at Metanoia Institute, Middlesex University. I have studied for a 1-year Gestalt Group Facilitation certificate at the Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, attended Rich Hycner's 3-day 'Therapeutic Artistry' workshop in 2017, and I am also qualified in CBT approaches to Stress Management.
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy, Middlesex University
- Certificate in Stress Management (CBT approach)
- Clinical Diploma in Gestalt Therapy, Middlesex University
- Certificate in Group Facilitation, Edinburgh Gestalt Institute
- Certificate in Psychological Coaching (CBT Based Training) Centre for Coaching
- BA Hons. in Social Sciences (Psychology)
- Introduction to Gestalt, London Gestalt Centre
Retreats and programmes
I ongoingly undertake regular activities to further my understanding of myself (e.g. Buddhist retreats, Mindfulness retreats, personal therapy). Most recently, I have become part of the Diamond Approach UK Group 4 which now forms the mainstay of my support and inquiry into life.
- 15 years coaching 1:1 with managers and graduates in organisations
- 15 years facilitating self-awareness and emotional intelligence groups in business
- Running mindfulness groups in schools
- Samaritans Volunteer
- Youth Mentoring
- The Swan Project, Bristol Addiction Charity
- Cotswold Counselling, Cirencester
- The Listening Post, Stroud
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
£50. I have some concessionary places available.
What do to next...
If you would like to get started, please drop me a line or give me a call and leave a message, and ill schedule a time we can speak for an initial free 15 minutes consultation, where I can find out more about what you want to get out of counselling, and you can get a sense of me. If you would like to then proceed, we can set up a time for a face-to-face session.
And finally ...
I’ve had a long-standing interest to know how I can have a deeper sense of being more comfortable in my own skin, and more connected with other people. I came to my own therapy in a desire to understand myself better, and throughout my life, my ongoing development and growth has been central to how I live. I've attended numerous retreats and training programmes, from spirituality to mindfulness and bodywork, to explore my self and keep growing.
I believe that to know and understand yourself deeply, is fundamentally important for a psychotherapist for holding a container for someone else to explore themselves.
I also write a blog which you can read on my website.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Thursday, Friday
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|