James Halson (Dip.Couns) MACC
I am committed to working in clients' best interests and to that end I offer a service tailored to each individual (using an integrative approach). Experience has taught me that therapy works best when there is a good relationship between counsellor and client, and I will work hard to construct such a relationship and see things from the client's point of view in order to address their problems.
Although I do not confine myself to one particular approach my style is probably best characterised as Person-Centred. It can take a while for people's feeling of wellbeing to grow and, whilst there is no magic wand in counselling, taking an active part in the therapy and working together with the counsellor can produce really good results.
I am happy to work with individuals of 18 years or above. I have a particular interest in working with older people and with men.
Clients can call or email me to set up an initial session, where we will discuss what they want to get out of counselling. If both parties are happy to continue we will arrange a second session, and thereafter, by agreement, meet regularly (usually once per week).
Training, qualifications & experience
- 29 August 2014 CPCAB Level 2 award in introduction to counselling skills
- 09 July 2015 CPCAB Level 2 certificate in counselling skills
- 15 July 2016 CPCAB Level 3 certificate in counselling studies
- 19 March 2019 Open College Network Level 4 diploma in counselling
Conferences and training events:
- 18 July 2015 Understanding more about anxiety (by Dr. Julie Waumsley)
- 13 November 2015 Working with suicidal clients (by Andrew Reeves)
- 25 March 2017 Working with couples (by Sarah Smyth)
- 10 October 2018 Using creative interventions (by Dot Lundie, Audrey Scott and Gayle Jones)
- 8 February - 11 February 2019 ACC national conference "Embodied Hope"
- 12 June 2019 Smart endings (by Gwyn Pritchard)
Areas of counselling I deal with
I currently charge £40 per session. Each session lasts for one hour. This rate is, I think, competitive. Whilst it is possible to pay less, in my view what you are gaining from working with me is greater value for money.
I am happy, if it seems mutually agreeable, to conduct therapy sessions in clients' own houses. This would have to be by arrangement, but I am hoping that it will be of use to people with limited mobility or other care needs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
Can visit clients at home provided they live within 15 miles of NN7
I can work on mondays, wednesdays, fridays or saturdays. Additionally, I can also offer counselling in the evening on those days.
Types of client