Hi, I am a classical person centred counsellor. This means I have a deep belief in the growth and development of you - my client. This can best be achieved when I provide you with a 'safe place' where you can explain your issue and your aims and we will work together to achieve them. I firmly believe that if certain conditions exist between client and counsellor then positive therapeutic change will arise - it is inevitable. These conditions are a combination of the Counsellors own attitudes, training and skills and the relationship formed with the client.
I am also a member of the BACP Spirituality division which honours spirituality, belief and pastoral care in counselling and psychotherapy. We strive to increase awareness of the relevance and importance of spirituality in helping relationships, encourage dialogue between different spiritualities, beliefs and faith communities and promote standards of good practice in working with spirituality
In our counselling relationship you will never be judged. In fact, you will be my primary concern; valued and respected in our partnership which I will treat as private, ethical and confidential.
We will work at a pace that is comfortable for you and review progress at regular intervals. You will receive from me; appropriate sensitivity, and a caring honesty which will always put you first. I will work ethically, legally and openly at all times.
You can expect to have a free first session of 30 minutes without commitment. Then, if you feel you will benefit from the counselling I can provide, we will discuss an initial number of counselling sessions and how we review your progress.
If I cannot provide the type of counselling I feel you need, I will always be honest about this. I will discuss it thoroughly with you and help you find the best way forward. This is because you are the main concern in a counselling relationship which is built on trust.
I have not always been a counsellor. I have a BA degree in Housing Studies and worked for 22 years in an organisation with the highest integrity and probity on behalf of frail, disabled and elderly people. Whilst there, I learned about the intense difficulties that life can bring and the compassion and practical help, that can be offered by very special people. I strive to practise this.
I am also offering RELAXATION and MEDITATION COURSES at reduced rates.
Apart from my private counselling, I currently work in a Hospice and in a Carers Centre.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Related Qualifications
- NLP Practitioner 2006
- NLP Master Practitioner 2007
- Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) trained Coach 2008
- Level 2 Person Centred Counselling 2009
- Level 3 Advanced Counselling Skills 2011- Merit
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling 2018
- PTSD Diploma 2019 - Distinction
Other courses e.g. Continuous Professional Development
- Meditation induction and guided practise - School of Practical Philosophy 1988-90
- Suicide Prevention - 2016
- Hypnotherapy - 2019
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- pet bereavement
Photos & videos
- I provide an initial 30 minute session which is free so that clients can decide if they might benefit.
- Following this, my fees are £35 per session.
- Sessions last 50 minutes following which, and in agreement with you, I will keep brief confidential notes of progress.
- Counselling students at the reduced rate of £20 per session.
RELAXATION OR MEDITATION COURSE
- £20 per session
A standard contract will be part of the counselling relationship, so that the client knows exactly what to expect. An initial number of sessions will be agreed but the client is free to leave counselling at any time. Progress towards the client's therapeutic goal will regularly assessed and the clients personal preferences will be discussed and incorporated wherever possible.
It is very important to me that the client feels part of the process rather than being talked down to (patronised) by a so-called 'expert'. Person-centred work considers the client as the expert in their own lives. The person-centred counsellor works to help the client to recognise their true selves.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available 9-5 (Mon-Fri) and evenings by arrangement. Home visits can be arranged.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|