Jacqui Lichtenstern UKCP & EAGT Reg. Psychotherapist, MSc Gestalt Psychotherapy
1 Castle Mews
70 Borough High Street
07947 163 902
I am a UKCP registered Gestalt psychotherapist working with individuals and couples, at practices in central and north London, both easily reached by public transport.
It is widely acknowledged that it is the quality of the therapeutic relationship which is key to the process of healing, growth and change, so it makes sense to take time to choose a therapist who is the right 'fit' for you.
My particular areas of interest & experience include:
- Couples Relationships
- Identity & belonging
- Inter-cultural relationships
- Loss & bereavement
- Migration & refugee experience
- Mixed heritage
- Transgenerational trauma
What is the Gestalt approach?
The Gestalt approach acknowledges the inter-relatedness of all life, recognising the uniqueness of every human as existing in the context of their historical experiences, family, culture, present situations and physical environment.
Encompassing a holistic perspective means that a person is viewed as a complex whole, where all aspects are valued; physical, emotional, psychological, intellectual, social, spiritual etc.
What can you expect from therapy sessions with me?
- A safe, contained space for you to share your experience and to be heard in a non-judgmental way.
- We will explore together the situations that are troubling you and focus on increasing your awareness of present moment to moment experiences and any repeated patterns that have become unhelpful.
- Gestalt therapy is creative, experiential and experimental; we will work together, fine-tuning a balance between support and challenge in our sessions, developing new perspectives and choices with the potential for change.
- I work with integrity and compassion, and my intention is to 'walk alongside' you using my experience, skills and presence to support you on this part of your life's journey.
Who do I work with?
I work with adults and have a particular experience in working with people from mixed heritage backgrounds and in mixed relationships, those from immigrant and refugee families, and university students.
There are many situations that can feel overwhelming when struggling with them alone. Meeting with a professional therapist can be a significant first step in finding ways to support yourself in facing challenges in your life.
I work with adults who are familiar with therapy and counselling, trainee therapists and those for whom it is the first time to seek psychological support. You may be looking for support because of:
- Major life events i.e. becoming a parent; starting a new job; moving house; ‘mid-life crisis’; migration and bereavement.
- Past events troubling you in the present i.e. coming to terms with childhood experiences; unresolved relationship issues and loss.
- Ongoing issues i.e. a sense of feeling ‘stuck’; unhelpful patterns of behaviour; issues of identity & belonging; mixed heritage issues; cultural clashes in relationships.
- Personal Development an interest in increasing self-awareness; developing your potential; moving towards living a more meaningful and fulfilling life.
I offer relationship work to couples in many situations. You may:
- be in a new relationship and recognising that challenges will arise in any relationship, and would like to explore constructive ways to approach them, maybe doing things differently from previous relationships.
- have become stuck in old unhelpful patterns and are looking for help in finding new ways to communicate with each other;
- be unhappy together and contemplating separation or divorce and want to be sure that this is the right step to take;
- have decided separate or divorce and want guidance on doing so respectfully and minimising hurt to each other and/or any children.
Groups in N12
- Identity & Belonging;
- Mixed Heritage and relationships
- University Student Mentoring Support
You are welcome to book an initial taster session, which is:
- A first step into exploring therapeutic support.
- Time for you to experience how I work before making a commitment.
- An opportunity to talk about what brings you to therapy, what your hopes and expectations are, and to ask me any questions you may have.
- Space to discuss my fee structure, holidays, cancellations and confidentiality, and discuss which arrangement might be most suitable for you.
- Although we are likely to have an initial sense of whether or not I would be the right therapist for you, I encourage us both to take a few days to reflect on our session, and for you to meet another therapist if you wish, before making a decision.
- An option to agree a 4 week trial period, after which we review about further work.
Training, qualifications & experience
My Professional Engagement
I am committed to my own ongoing personal and professional learning and development.
- European Certificate of Gestalt Psychotherapy
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Integrated Counselling Skills (Person-Centred, Psychodynamic & Psychosynthesis)
- Certificate in Couples work
- Certificate in Group work
Accredited & Registered Memberships
- The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) - Registered Psychotherapist
- The European Association for Gestalt Therapy (EAGT) - Accredited Member (UK Representative: 2013-17)
- UK Association for Gestalt Practitioners (UKAGP) - Full Member (Chair: 2013-17)
- The Black, African & Asian Therapy Network (BAATN) - Directory Member
- Psychotherapists & Counsellors for Social Responsibility (PCSR) - Member
- Chartered Institute for Library & Information Professionals (CILIP) - Ordinary Member
- Mindfulness Practice
- Introduction to Systemic Constellations in Organisations
- Bodymind certificate course
Continued Professional Development (CPD)
I actively engage in ongoing learning and professional development through regular involvement at workshops, seminars and conferences focusing on a wide range of areas, these have included intergenerational trauma, diversity & inter-cultural issues, ecopsychology, relational Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, art & creativity, body process, spirituality and Gestalt Interactive Group Therapy.
Other areas of interest include: Oral History, post-Holocaust Generations, mixed heritage experience, refugee experience, ecological sustainability, and library & information science.
Psychotherapy and counselling - with adult individuals and couples
Mentoring - psychotherapeutic mentoring to university students (under-grads & post-grads)
Group Facilitation - on mixed heritage exploration (Identity & Belonging) and inter-generational dialogue (Echoes of the Holocaust)
Workshop facilitation - on anxiety and low self-esteem
Conference presentations - on prejudice and identity & belonging
Tutoring - counselling skills to prisoners and assisting tutoring psychotherapy trainees
Social care & support work - with adults and children with wide range of disabilities and mental health issues.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
An agreement to work together is a relational venture that requires a personal investment of your commitment, time and money.
I offer a range of fees according to location, time and financial circumstance. Fees are higher in Central London and reduced rates are only available in North London.
You are welcome to book an initial taster session at an introductory rate of £25.00 for individuals, and £50.00 for couples.
- My room in Tulip House is on the third floor and the lift is available during office hours.
- My room at Aashna is on the first floor via a spiral staircase; a ground floor accessible room can be booked if available upon request.
Please email me with any additional queries, to book a taster session or to arrange a phone call, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client