Iqubal Birdi MA, BA (Hons) Psych, Dip Couns, MBACP
I am a Birmingham-based qualified and experienced, MBACP Registered counsellor. Within a safe, trusting and confidential setting, I aim to help clients with a range of personal problems relating to thinking, emotions and behaviour, including:
● stress ● depression ● anxiety ● loss ● relationships ● addictions ● self-esteem/confidence
● assertiveness ● work issues/employee counselling ● identity/cultural issues ● anger issues
I have experience in counselling, supervision, training and management as well as teaching counselling skills and facilitating support groups; working in both the voluntary and statutory sectors (e.g. NHS Primary Care Trust, Public Health and Local Authority) and with GP's and Hospitals.
My counselling approach is integrative and eclectic (i.e. using whichever counselling approach or approaches work best for the client) including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), solution focused brief therapy (SFBT), humanistic/person-centred, existential and mindfulness. I work with both individuals and couples.
I offer all prospective clients an assessment interview as the first session. This provides both of us with the opportunity of deciding whether we wish to work together. We would then agree an appropriate number of sessions and at the end of this period we jointly assess progress and what further action may be needed. If we are not to work together I attempt to assist by providing, wherever possible, alternative therapists and agencies to contact. Sessions last for 50 minutes, usually on the same day and time each week.
We can all from time to time, experience personal difficulties, crises, relationship and work-related problems; find it hard to cope, understand things and make decisions. At such times we may experience confusion, stress, anxiety, depression and possibly develop more serious mental health problems.
A trained counsellor/therapist helps you gain a perspective about the issue(s) troubling you. Together we explore the cause(s) of your problem(s) and consider what might be stopping you from reaching your full potential.
The aim of the therapeutic process is to enable you to understand and accept yourself, to change your behaviour to that which is more productive and rewarding for you, and to help you move towards becoming the kind of person you want to be. Counselling aims to help people to improve their sense of well being, alleviate their distress, resolve their crises and increase their ability to solve problems and make decisions for themselves.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2008 - MA in the Social Sciences (MA (Soc Sci))
- 2003 - Post Grad. Dip. in Psychological Research Methods (PGD PRM)
- 1998 - Diploma in Counselling (CSCT/AEB)
- 1995 - Combined Certificate in Counselling - Skills and Theory (CSCT/AEB)
- 1993 - BA (Hons) Psychology
- 2014 - Prof. Qualification in the Therapeutic Use of Mindfulness (British Mindfulness Inst.)
- 2014 - Cert. in Training the Trainers (Solution Focused Brief Therapy)
- 2013 - Foundation in Solution Focused brief therapy
- 2011 - NCFE Level 3 Award in Substance Misuse and Drugs Awareness
- 2009 - C&G 7303 (Level 4) Preparation for Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS)
- 2007 - OCN (Level 3) Cert. in Facilitating Drug Awareness
- 2000 - Counselling Supervision (in-service training)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Addictions including drugs, alcohol and gambling; cross-cultural counselling; identity
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
£45 per session (50 minutes) for individual counselling; £50 (50 minutes) for couples counselling.
I have qualifications and experience in training / tutoring / facilitating groups. I have obtained C&G 7303 (Level 4) Preparation for Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) in 2009.
I have an enhanced DBS Certificate (26/1/17).
I have training and experience in Motivational interviewing and solution focused brief therapy (SFBT).
I have written and published a book (with AuthorHouse, November 2013) relating to counselling, psychology and psychological well-being, which can be seen at: www.iqubalbirdi.com
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|