Flat 4 Riverside House
19 Osborne Road
01225 330007 / 07791 117276
I have long-term experience working with those brought up in alcoholic or dysfunctional homes (ACOA) - or clients who may be fighting addictions of their own. I also counsel people faced with the difficult task of managing their tinnitus in the early days of the onset (see articles below).
Please feel free to call me and ask whatever questions you like. Perhaps then we can arrange an initial appointment either in person, Skype, Facetime or phone. A first session gives us the opportunity to talk and to see whether you feel my counselling is for you. Confidentiality is assured throughout.
I am (NCAC) Accredited - which means I have jumped through all sorts of hoops for my counselling governing body (FDAP) to become a better counsellor and therefore better able to help you. I see a trained supervisor regularly for the same purpose
AREAS OF COUNSELLING I CAN HELP WITH:
- Addictions, substance abuse and dependence
- Adult Children of Alcoholics issues (ACOA)
- Alcoholism and drug addiction, 12 Step (AA) and harm reduction.
- Low Self-Confidence/ Low Self-Esteem
- Living with Tinnitus and how to manage it
- Giving up Smoking
I run a private practice and have worked in both daycare (DHI) and residential (Clouds House) centres and have long experience in 12 Step methods (abstinence) and Harm Reduction models of treatment (cutting down). I will work collaboratively with you to seek solutions, and in the case of an addiction, help in overcoming a growing problem over which you may feel you have little or no control.
I am under regular & professional supervision and am committed to developing and expanding my counselling skills to better help you.
If you live too far away for face-to-face sessions, I am happy to see you via Skype, Facetime or phone.
I hold National Counsellor Accreditation (NCAC) and am an Accredited Drug & Alcohol Professional and member of FDAP (The Federation of Drug and Alcohol Professionals) and I work from lovely rooms by the river in Newbridge, Bath (with free parking).
Training, qualifications & experience
- FDAP (Federation of Drug and Alcohol Professionals) Accredited NCAC.
FDSc in Addictions Counselling (Action On Addiction/ University of Bath).
Intermediate Certificate in Counselling Skills. (Bath College)
Person-centred counselling (Rogerian Approach)
Abstinence Based Approach (12 Step)
Harm Reduction (Relapse Prevention)
Motivational Interviewing MI (Miller & Rollnick)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Egan's Skilled Helper Model
As therapists, we are strongly encouraged to advance our own personal development as counsellors on a continuing basis These are some of the CPD modules and courses that I have attended since qualifying:
- Security (re)gained - Attachment as a therapeutic modality.
- The Music of Being - Becoming a self through the therapeutic qualities of music.
- Introduction to Pesso Boyden Psychotherapy - A New Approach to Healing the Past.
- The Long Goodbye - A Psycho-social investigation of endings in life and therapy.
- Boarding School Survivors Workshops, London.
- Group Analysis Today.
- The Rescued Fragment – What underlies shame?
- Between the Given and What Gives.
- Co-Morbidities: What is the Future Direction?
- The Buddhist Wheel of Life - Six Realms of Existence - Their place in the therapy room.
- Introduction to Use of EMDR in Traumatic Experience (Iron Mill College, Exeter)
- Transactional Analysis - TA 101 (Iron Mill College, Exeter)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Drug abuse
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
12 Step programmes of recovery.
Motivation to change (Motivational Interviewing).
Tinnitus support (ringing in the ears).
I charge £40 per 50 minute session and £60 for couples and families.
I can offer some concessionary rates for students and for those on a low income or income support. Please ask.
- You, me and our family tree - the use of genograms within counselling
- Adult children of alcoholics – unhooking from the past
Hugh has worked for many years in the music industry as a musician/composer with at least one West End show to his credit and another running at London's Roundhouse. He spent 20 years in Hong Kong writing music for Chinese Theatre and TV Advertising before returning to live and work in the lovely city of Bath.
His counselling studies started at Bath College under Cynthia Barker followed by a two year Addictions Counselling course at the University of Bath under the auspices of Action on Addiction. He has supported the counselling team at Clouds House and has been running his own private practice since 2013.
He also still finds time to compose, create ceramic designs, and produce audiobooks for the BBC and can be found on Thursday evenings flying around the world with the Bristol Flight Simulation Group.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day & evening and Saturday sessions available. Face-to-face, Skype, Facetime and telephone counselling sessions - whichever suits you best.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|