Henriette O'Bryan MNCS (Accred) Integrative Counsellor
Hello. My name is Henriette and I provide mental health support to adults over 18. I am an integrative psychotherapeutic counsellor providing person-centred therapy. This means we can explore your emotional distress in a flexible way at your own pace from different viewpoints and find ways to manage:
- feeling sad due to life changes like menopause, bereavement/grief
- hurt or other worries.
- loss of health, or terminal illness like cancer, loneliness,
- low mood
- low self-confidence
- low self-esteem
- panic disorder
- relationship problems due to affairs and betrayals or separation and divorce
- traumatic experiences
I shall continue with a few testimonials ...
- "You made me feel comfortable which allowed me to voice all the issues I had bottled up for a long time, it has changed me for the better and given me the ability to independently deal with problems." Client E
- "You have helped me through tough times in the past months giving me greater understanding, strength and self-belief." Anonymous Client
- "The sessions I had with Henriette helped me to re-think my priorities and to put my worries and urges into perspective. I am now better my stress and my self-confidence levels are improving." Client P
- "I can't thank you enough for listening and helping me see the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I couldn't have done it without your compassion and understanding." Client E
- "Thank you for helping me over the six weeks." Client B
- "Can't thank you enough for all your support over the last two months." Client L
My Counselling Approach
As an integrative counsellor and psychotherapist my role is to get to know you so I can understand your dilemma “as if through your eyes”. Two things are sure though: (1) there is always hope, no matter what you feel right now; and (2) we have no control over what other people will do or say, but you have control over your responses.
I support local clients in Bridgwater, Somerset, UK and online clients who travel globally or are ex-pats in various countries. We can work in real time via video/webcam, voice only (like telephone counselling) or instant chat (IM). Or if you prefer a delayed response time I offer email counselling via ProtonMail. Some clients find it helpful to switch between the different mediums whereas others prefer to stick to their preferred way of communication. The way of communication is your choice where you feel safest to:
- explore and make sense of curious, sad, anger-provoking, embarrassing, shameful or traumatic experiences;
- learn how automatic negative thoughts cause negative feelings and unhelpful behaviours including how to change these thoughts to experience more positive emotions and helpful behaviours;
- learn coping strategies or relaxation techniques to improve your mental well-being, manage anger or manage anxiety and stress;
- understand how you relate to yourself and others. This might explain distress or conflict situations with loved ones, friends or colleagues.
I am here to support you. Either indirectly, if you need to talk at your own pace or come to terms with a sad or difficult experience.
Alternatively, a more directive approach using psychoeducation and cognitive behavioural therapy (cbt) tools might be more appropriate if you want to change an unhelpful behaviour or learn to cope with anxiety and stress. Such approach may involve keeping journals, diary notes or working on goals between sessions.
My supervised practice experience since March 2016 included supporting male and female adults between the ages of 18-78+ experiencing problems related to abortion, anger, anxiety, bereavement, confidence, eating disorders (including the carer of the sufferer), fear, general low moods, general stress, lack of motivation, loss and grief, stress, relationship problems, family issues, self-esteem, sleeping problems, terminal illnesses mainly cancer and work-related stress due to bullying, false accusations, false convictions.
How you could benefit from Counselling or Psychotherapy
Talking therapies are helpful to bring release from emotions that have been suppressed or held onto, sometimes for many years. Discovering our relationship with ourselves can lead to increased self-awareness that in turn can help us to have stronger boundaries and live up to our values without being side-tract by other influences. Helpful coping techniques or relaxation strategies can also help you feel less overwhelmed, emotionally distressed, anxious or stressed out by relentless pressures in life. With increased self-awareness you will also understand how your own, other people or society's expectations can cause chaos or drama and how to make sense of your world in a less pressured way.
How I can help you
It can be nerve-wracking to open-up emotionally about intimate and private issues that are holding you back in life. Long term emotional suffering from anxiety and stress also affect your physical body. So, well done on taking the first courageous step to take more control over your circumstances.
I provide individuals over 18 with a safe, confidential space to talk. This safe space may be to
- find out “why” or “where your problems stem from” if that is what you feel you need to do; although there is evidence that such questions can worsen anyone suffering from depression.
- explore the effects of negative thoughts on your emotions and behaviours and learn how to change those to more helpful thoughts, emotions and behaviours
- set future goals to make changes in your life or certain behaviours.
- make sense of an exeprience where you experienced emotional upheaval or a traumatic loss.
- come to terms with your vulnerabilities and feelings of guilt, shame, sadness and anger.
The human mind and human behaviour are very complex issues and “not one counselling therapeutic approach fits all”. Often our problems are exacerbated by our own belief systems, our cultural values, our society’s values and expectations as well as our own and other people’s expectations. By exploring your beliefs and values in an honest and open way within the safe space of a non-judgmental person might possibly also give you a different view of what is causing your emotional suffering.
We will work at your own pace while I offer guidance and support to see yourself and your problem from different views and explore options and choices that may not be apparent at first sight.
Your problem is never too small and I shall always give you my full non-judgmental attention.
Can counselling cause me harm?
Sometimes the counselling experience can be upsetting or sad when you talk about things from your past whereas other times what you talk about can perhaps make you feel angry. I am an experienced counsellor and will not be offended or uncomfortable if you express these normal human emotions.
Often clients can then think that counselling is not working as they are getting worse, but it is important to be committed to go back regularly as that is part of why regular sessions of support is required.
I look forward to hearing from you and until then, treat yourself how you would treat a good friend.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am an Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society (NCS).
- For online counselling work I am registered with the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO).
- I am also registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office and, as such, am governed by the Data Protection Act 1998. All clients' personal information (paper based and electronic) are stored in compliance with the requirements of this act.
My holistic outlook of the mind-body-spirit connection has led to studies and qualifications representing those three areas. The emotional and psychological suffering from anxiety and stress suffered also affect physical body functions and spiritual well-being. I stay up to date with skills and theoretical approaches. I have obtained the following Continuing Professional Development (CPD) certificates and qualifications related to mental, physical and spiritual health.
Anxiety: Understanding Anxiety – and managing it without drugs (CPD)
Autism – Working with Clients on the Autistic Spectrum
Bereavement: Cruse Bereavement Foundation Course - Working with Adults
Bereaved by Suicide (CPD)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Diploma
Counselling Children and Young People (CPD)
Counselling: Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Counselling Practice Level 4 Diploma
Counselling Skills and Reflective Practice Level 3
Counselling Skills and Working with Loss and Grief Level 2
Depression: How to break the Cycle of Depression (CPD)
Eating Disorders Training Day (CPD)
Gym Instructor Level 2
Low Self-esteem & Confidence - Supporting Patients
Menofitness (fitness during & after menopause - CPD)
Mental Health Awareness Module (CPD)
Professiional Relaxation Therapy
Reiki 1 & 2 - Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki
Self-Care for Practitioners (CPD)
Solution Focused Brief Therapy (CPD)
Stress Management Life Coaching (online course)
Sudden and Traumatic Death Module (CPD)
Suicide: Working with a Suicidal Clients
Tai Chi Bang Instructor Level 2
Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi for Exercise Instructors Level 2
Trauma: De-mystifying Trauma
Trauma - Rewind Technique
Trauma-informed working with Adult Survivors of Child Abuse
Trauma Healing – How to help clients access resource states
Treating Chronic Stress
Working in a time limited way module
* Currently studying Psychology Degree
My supervised practice experience so far has included supporting male and female adults between the ages of 18-75+ experiencing problems related to abortion, anger, anxiety, bereavement, confidence, eating disorders (including the carer of the sufferer), fear, general low moods, general stress, lack of motivation, loss and grief, personal stress, relationship problems, self-esteem, sleeping problems, terminal illnesses mainly cancer and work-related stress due to bullying.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Pregnancy and birth
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
FREE - Initial 50 minute consultation
£45.00 - Individual (one-to-one) counselling for 60 minutes (50 minutes counselling & 10 minutes for therapist to record session notes)
Payment accepted via BACS, my website, cash or cheque prior to your session.
At the time of writing this, there are over 130 experienced counsellors within a 15 mile radius of me listed on this directory with a range of different and excellent specialities. This can make it very confusing to choose a counsellor. If you are looking for your first counsellor I can understand that this may feel overwhelming as you want to choose the right person you can feel safe with. This is a difficult thing to do when just looking at someone’s picture and read a bit about them on a website.
Anxiety and stress can often makes it difficult to make a firm decision, but if you have read this far I feel that you are committed to making a change in your situation. If you want more information about me please visit my website www.SomersetCounsellingTherapy.co.uk.
When you feel ready to contact me I will be there to set up our initial no obligation FREE – consultation.
Until then take a deep breath and be kind to yourself.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Face-to-Face slots in Bridgwater TA6 (08:00-17:00) Online Zoom slots (evening and weekend). FREE initial consultation over phone, face-to-face or online via zoom.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|