I am an Integrative Psychotherapeutic counsellor, which means that I have a flexible approach to working with issues, such as anxiety and depression, exploring with you what works well and what doesn’t. I don’t offer a ‘quick fix’, but sometimes it helps to know that how we are feeling and behaving is a normal response to things that have happened. We can then explore new ways to cope and to thrive, rather than just surviving from day-to-day. I will help you in this process.
· if a part of you wants to change and a part of you feels that can never happen,
· if part of you is yearning for connection and part wants to run away from it,
· if you feel anxious, angry, sad, worthless, overwhemled or numb,
you are not alone, although right now you may feel that you are.
· If you need someone to talk to who welcomes all your emotions and is willing to
listen with compassionate curiosity and non-judgement,
· if you want to explore ways to find calm when life feels like a roller-coaster,
· if you want someone to be there for you, for a few weeks, or longer,
please come to see me, so that together we can decide if counselling with me might be suitable for you and, if so, when you would like to start.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a background in education and in holistic health and nutrition and have worked for over 5 years as a counsellor, with a particular interest in learning about ways that help my clients to feel calmer and more present in their lives.
In my practice I have come to see that when I encourage and support people to look at all aspects of themselves and their responses to different situations with curiosity and compassion, the change that they seek can begin to happen of its own accord.
We will work together, noticing what is happening as we talk, and I offer different, and sometimes creative, ways that can help us explore and understand better what you are feeling, alongside simple strategies for calming distress of body and mind.
Counselling doesn’t come with promises or guarantees, but the way that I work has a sound basis in up-to-date neuroscientific research and theory. The first step towards change is always the hardest, but change begins as soon as we are willing to consider doing something different. You have just taken that step.
"In order to do what you want, you have to know what you are doing." (Feldenkreis)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am willing to offer online and/or telephone counselling on an ad hoc basis at my discretion, for example to maintain relationship continuity in cases where clients are already committed to a course of 1-1 counselling but are temporarily unable to attend an appointment in person.
- I currently offer an initial introductory and assessment consultation, without obligation, at a cost of £25, and it is my practice to make contact with new clients by telephone prior to our first meeting. Any follow-on sessions are charged at a rate of £40 per hour for a 50-minute to one hour session, although I may, on occasion, be able to offer a discretionary rate.
- If appointments are cancelled with less than 24 hours' notice, I will normally expect payment for the session missed. Counselling is open-ended, but reviewed at regular intervals in the course of therapy.
- As well as confirming and registering your details and giving you a chance to ask any questions you may have, an initial session will cover a brief assessment of your current situation and your hopes and expectations of the counselling process. Meeting me in person, in my place of work, will also, I hope, give you an opportunity to decide whether you would like to meet with me regularly.
I welcome enquiries by phone or email.
I currently practice from a residential setting in a small market town in West Suffolk, which is accessible by bus and train and there are several car parks within walking distance offering short-term free parking.
“You suppose you are the trouble But you are the cure.You suppose that you are the lock on the door. But you are the key that opens it.” (Rumi)
Helena Bowen MA (Oxon)
BSc (Hons) Integrative Counselling (Middlesex)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Flexible working hours, including early evenings and weekends, as required.
Types of client