Dr. Helen Sessions - C.Psychol., Clin.Psy.D., M.Sc., B.Sc. (Hons)
I'm Dr. Helen Sessions, I offer Psychological therapy tailored to your individual needs.
Working with a range of psychological therapies, based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Cognitive Analytical Therapy (CAT), drawing on ideas and strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and mindfulness. All interventions are collaboratively tailored to your needs, based on presenting problems and individual goals.
I am able to treat a wide range of presentations, including (but not limited to):
- Anxiety disorders, including health anxiety, social anxiety, phobias, panic, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD);
- Mood disorders, including depression / low mood, mood swings, bipolar affective disorder (manic depression), post-natal depression;
- Eating problems, including over- or under-eating;
- Trauma, including single-event traumas (e.g. a car crash) or multiple traumas (e.g. childhood abuse);
- Interpersonal issues, such as difficulties forming or maintaining relationships.
To started, call or email me to set up an initial session when we'll talk about what you want to get out of therapy. Following that, if you'd like to continue with therapy we'll set up a second session, and will usually meet weekly for an agreed number of sessions (typically 12-24 depending on severity and complexity). Please note, my sessions are based on structured psychological therapy, rather than solely counselling sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked in the NHS since 2000 with a wide range of clients of different ages with learning difficulties and / or mental health problems. I continue to work part-time as lead clinician for the psychological therapies service in an adult mental health team. I provide specialist psychological support for adults with severe, long-term difficulties and offer support, consultation, supervision and training to other clinicians.
• Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (2005), University of East Anglia, Norwich
• Master’s degree in Research Methods in Psychology (2000), University of Reading
• Bachelor’s degree in Psychology (1999), University of Leicester
• Cognitive Analytic Therapy Practitioner Training (2016 – present)
South London and Maudsley NHS Trust
• Cognitive Analytic Therapy Skills Training (2015), Southern Health NHS Trust
• Private practice since 2011.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
- Psychological assessment £150 (up to 90 mins)
- Therapy sessions £90 (50 mins)
Training and supervision available on request.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer appointments in Winchester on Mondays, 10am - 3pm. Please contact me to check my availability.
Types of client