Heather Shipley CBT & Emotional Therapy Ad Dip FETC MFETC MNCS (Accred)
Hello and welcome. I love being able to help my clients understand why they are feeling like they do and working together to make improvements in their overall wellbeing. My counselling space is calm, supportive and welcoming. We will work at your pace and I can help you see things from a different perspective. I work with clients experiencing a range of issues including: anxiety, feeling sad, depression, low self-esteem, phobias, bereavement, low self-confidence, family issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, child-related issues and relationship issues. I truly believe that talking and creative therapies will help you experience a more positive outlook on life. I work with adults, young people and couples. I am a therapist who is experienced, accredited, registered, insured and supervised.
Please get in touch for a friendly chat and learn more about how I can help you.
My practice is totally focussed on meeting your goals. I work with tools from both Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Emotional Therapeutic Counselling to be able to help you with short and long-term concerns. Sometimes when we are experiencing strong emotions or negative thought processes, talking to an experienced therapist can help make sense of why you may be feeling that way.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
CBT is a short-term goals focused therapy. By changing our negative thought patterns we can change the way we think and feel.
Emotional Therapeutic Counselling (ETC)
A key aspect of ETC is the range of talking and creative techniques used to assist you to both recognise and release painful feelings, in an appropriate manner.
My background includes Teaching Assistant/Nurture Lead, family support worker, young persons counsellor/mentor and counselling adults in a therapeutic environment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- The Rewind Technique
- Advanced Diploma in Emotional Therapeutic Counselling
- Youth Mental Health First Aider (Mental Health England)
- Diploma in Emotional Therapeutic Counselling
- Foundation in Emotional Therapeutic Counselling
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Diploma in Counselling for Children and Adolescents
- Volunteer Mentor for Lifespace Trust (www.lifespace.org.uk)
- Nurture Group Practitioner - The Theory of Nurture Groups for Nurture Group Network
- 10 years working in a primary school in a pastoral/nurture role
- Member of the Foundation for Emotional Therapeutic Counselling
- Member of the National Counselling Society
- Enhanced DBS checked
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
The Rewind Technique
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Emotional Therapeutic Therapy
Stratford upon Avon
Separation and divorce
Affairs and betrayals
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Group therapy
Photos & videos
Lifeways - A 20 minute introductory appointment is charged at £25. This will give you the opportunity to learn more about my therapies and how I may be able to help you. A full 50 minute session can be booked straight away charged at £50 (£70 for couples).
If an appointment is cancelled 48 hours in advance, no fee will be charged. If an appointment is cancelled with less than 48 hours notice, a cancellation fee of £25 will be charged.
- Mastering negative thoughts - acknowledge, validate, and cope
- Emotional resilience for children
- Taming feelings of anxiety in the brain (and why we feel them)
- Teenage development and emotional resilience
- What is emotional therapeutic counselling?
- Anger and our behaviour
- Anger - expressing and dealing with it wisely
June 2017 Article in The Guardian
For survivors and the bereaved, it’s practical support and empathy that are needed now.
The importance of waiting until grief counselling is acceptable to survivors was also underlined by Heather Shipley, a cognitive behavioural therapist and therapeutic counsellor working with grief and loss. “Right now these people just need time,” she said on Saturday. “Counselling can be fantastic. But people need to be in a place where they feel OK about speaking to someone first.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments available during the week (day and evening) and weekends.
Types of client