Jill Howlett Registered Member MBACP
I am a fully qualified counsellor with a wealth of personal and professional experience. I offer a safe, confidential counselling service that enables clients - individuals and couples - to tackle the issues they face, take control of their lives and feel better about themselves.
How counselling can help
Each of us is striving to be our best possible self and sometimes, things can get in the way of this and hinder us in our attempt to be who we really are. At some time in our lives, many of us will feel stressed, anxious or depressed - maybe even suicidal. Sometimes, something has happened - illness, bereavement, or a tragic or life changing event or situation. Sometimes, we don't know why we feel a certain way. These problems can cause unhappiness at home and work, or difficulties in our relationships with others. Counselling can help us to understand, make sense of and deal with these difficulties. Counselling can be a real turning point and lead to greater confidence in dealing with the challenges of life.
Here are just some of the issues I have experience of working with:
- Low mood
- Lack of motivation
- Low self-esteem
- Stress or anxiety due to fear of failure
- Sleep disturbances
- Lifestyle changes
- Behaviour issues
How I can help you
I have 15 years counselling experience, within the voluntary sector, alongside seeing clients in my private practice.
I have extensive knowledge in the Mental Health field having worked for the mental health charity Mind for five years, often working with people with severe mental ill health distress. I also worked for a young peoples organisation, counselling individuals from the age of sixteen to twenty five. I currently work for a charity, counselling adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Throughout my life, I have played a key role in a number of support groups, including a miscarriage support group, a national lupus support group, and a bereavement group for adults.
Whatever the setting and whoever I am working with, I maintain a core belief in the value of every individual. I believe everyone has within them the potential for self direction and constructive growth to enable them to make the right choices and the right changes in their lives.
I like to create an safe environment that will help you to share your innermost thoughts and feelings. What people have found most helpful is some-one who listens to their concerns, who doesn't judge them and who offers empathy and understanding for them and their situation.
My role is to enable you to talk about the things that are troubling you, to know and understand yourself and your behaviour, so that you can give yourself the choices about how you are and what you do.
From my own experience, I know to be alone with your distress and isolation can often make you feel much worse. Counselling can never change what has happened but talking about difficult experiences and tragic events can help you feel differently about it so that you can move on with your life with more freedom.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Integrative Diploma In Counselling.
- Certificate In Counselling.
- Integrative Counselling Skills.
- Certificate In Mental Health.
- Certificate In Transactional Analysis Therapy And Training.
- Fundamentals In Gestalt Counselling.
- Suicide Risk Assessment And Self-harm Awareness.
- Couples Counselling Certificate.
- Self-harm And Addictive Behaviour Cycles Workshop.
- Bereavement And Loss Workshop.
- Certificate In Working With Relational Trauma :
- Dealing With Disorganised Attachment.
- Certificate Of Proficiency With The British Association For Counsellors And Psychotherapists.
- Understanding Sexual Trauma.
- Introduction To Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
- 5 Years Counselling Experience For The 'Mental Health Charity', Mind.
- Safeguarding Awareness Training For Children And Adults.
- 2 Day Drug and Alcohol Awareness Workshop
- Understanding Substance Abuse Workshop
- Child Sexual Abuse Hope for Healing Workshop
- Working with Attachment Workshop
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Relationship issues such as:
- Difficulty sustaining relationships.
- Trust issues.
Employment Assistance support:
- Workplace pressure
- Personal issues affecting your performance.
- Job-related stress.
- Complex trauma
- sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
£3O per hour for INDIVIDUAL COUNSELLING.
£40 per hour for COUPLES COUNSELLING.
CONCESSIONS AVAILABLE for Students and Trainee Counsellors.
I am a Registered Member with the British Association for Counsellors & Psychotherapists. Which means my practice has been deemed to meet the standard for a 'competent ethical and independent practitioner. (I abide by the BACP Ethical Framework for good practice).
I am a member of PODS. (Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors).
I work with Adults. Young people, and couples. I offer Personal Therapy for Student Counsellors.
I am available for appointments during weekdays, evenings and Saturdays.
My counselling practice is based at Ty Aurora Buildings, King Street, Wrexham Town Centre.
Please feel free to contact me, either by e-mail or telephone.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday - 9am until 8pm. Saturdays - 9am to 4.30pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|