Gillian Century BACP Accredited Counsellor and Supervisor
I am a qualified, experienced and accredited counsellor, offering counselling and supervision from my comfortable practice in Southgate, North London. I offer both brief and longer-term therapy and am also happy to work via the telephone or Skype.
I have worked for the NHS for many years in a variety of medical and counselling roles. I have most recently worked as the counselling lead for the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Service in Enfield, since its creation in 2010. I have also extensive experience of working in private practice and for a number Employee Assistance Providers, helping clients with difficulties in their work settings or related issues.
How I work
- I work from an integrative perspective, combining different theories and ways of working, within a warm, caring and accepting approach.
- I try to understand your problems using a psychodynamic approach, where we may look together at how past relationships and patterns are influencing current situations and relationship difficulties.
- We may also, if needed, use cognitive behavioural (CBT) strategies and techniques to help you gain relief from troubling current symptoms such as anxiety and depression.
- I am also trained as an EMDR (trauma) therapist and may suggest using EMDR to address recent or past traumas, where these are causing or influencing difficulties in the present.
Free assessment session
I understand that it can be difficult to make the decision to come to counselling. I am also most concerned that the therapy should be collaborative, with your needs and goals very much at the centre of the sessions. For these reasons I offer a free assessment session, where we can think together about how the therapy could be helpful, address any concerns you may have and get a sense of how it would be to work together. If I do not feel that I am the right person to help you I will always endeavour to help you to find an alternative way forwards.
My practice in Southgate N14 is within very easy reach of both Arnos Grove and Southgate Tube Stations and local bus routes. There is ample free parking in the street adjacent to the practice. I offer both daytime (from 8.30 am) and some evening appointments (until 8.30 pm).
Please feel free to contact me with any queries.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in integrative counselling (University of North London 2000)
- BACP Accredited member since 2002
- MA Counselling (University of Hertfordshire 2004)
- Diploma in Clinical Supervision (CPPD therapy 2005)
- Post-graduate certificate in CBT skills (Westminster Pastoral Foundation 2007)
- EMDR (trauma therapy) practitioner 2010
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT) accredited therapist and supervisor (2012)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
I currently charge £50 for a regular 50 minute counselling or supervision session, whether face-to-face or by telephone.
EMDR (trauma therapy) costs £60 and may last up to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
There is no charge for the initial assessment session, which allows us to decide together whether the therapy may be helpful and how we might work together.
DIT training and ongoing supervision offered - please enquire
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays daytime 8.30 am to 6 pm and some evening appointments
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have extensive experience of offering face-to-face and telephone supervision, both within the NHS and in private practice.