Dr Georgia Papadopoulou - Clinical Psychologist, DClinPsy, BSc (Hons)
I am a Clinical Psychologist with over 12 years experience of working in mental health in the NHS, specialising in child, adolescent, parent/carer and family work. I have a range of interests, including low mood, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, parenting support/consultation, behaviour difficulties, and trauma/distressing memories.
I am committed to offering a service that places the child, young person, parent or adult at the heart of the work. I achieve this by working collaboratively with individuals, in a non-judgemental and empathic way, and through focussing on the person’s strengths and qualities to guide them through difficulties. Therapy should be a journey of empowerment and discovery, and this is at the centre of my philosophy of practice.
Areas I can help with
- Anxiety including generalised anxiety, phobias, panic, obsessive compulsive disorder
- Worry including exam worries, health or illness worries
- Depression, sadness, low mood
- Anger issues
- Bullying or other school related issues
- Friendship/ relationship issues
- Low self-esteem, lack of self confidence
- Eating related issues
- Diagnostic assessments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Autism Spectrum Condition/ Asperger’s Syndrome (ASC)
- Management of the difficulties associated with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Autism Spectrum Condition/ Asperger’s Syndrome (ASC)
- Family issues including changes to the family resulting from illness, bereavement, divorce
- Behavioural difficulties, tantrums
- Sleep issues
- Parenting support/ coaching
- Parental mental health issues including post-natal depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), or trauma-related difficulties
Please contact me for a brief free telephone consultation to discuss the needs of your child and/ or family.
I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), the professional body that regulates practitioner psychologists.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am an experienced clinical psychologist, with over 12 years of experience in mental health, and over 10 years of experience in working with children, adolescents and their families. My training includes Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), systemic (family) approach, behavioural approaches, Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) approach, and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. I use these, and other models, integratively in my work to find the best approach that will fit the individual I am working with.
I completed a three-year BPS (British Psychological Society)-accredited undergraduate course in Psychology (BSc. Hons) at the University of York, York. I then completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Mental Health (PDip) at the University of York.
Thereafter, I completed a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy) at the University of Hull. This is a full-time four-year professional clinical training programme, which combines teaching and supervised practice in assessment, therapeutic models, and interventions across the lifespan and ability range, combined with research methods in Clinical Psychology.
Following qualification I completed training in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), which focusses on helping the individual process distressing material from the (distant or near) past that is impacting in the here and now.
I am committed to continuing my professional development, and thus attend various workshops, training events, and other activities to enhance my skills, stay up to date with research developments, and maintain my professional registration.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation anxiety
- Tourette's syndrome
- Young carers
Initial telephone consultation (10-15 mins) – FREE
Session rate £110 (50-60 mins). This rate applies to all session types i.e. individual, family, couple, attendance at school meetings and telephone liaison with other professionals.
Reports are charged at an hourly rate (£110 per hour). Reports are not routinely produced, and any reports required will be discussed with you first.
I am registered with, and accept clients from, several private health insurance companies. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to check if your provider is included.
Free on street parking available
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client