Hello, I am Gemma,
I am a qualified and professionally registered Art and EMDR therapist. I have a wide range of experience, and being intergrative allows for flexibility in our work together. I have experience with working with adults, young people and children as young as 4.
There is a lot of confusion around Art therapy, and the need to be 'good' at art in order to engage in this form of therapy, however this is not the case. In the session we will be looking for connection not perfection, and no previous experience is required. There may be times where you might not feel like making art and that's okay. I believe it is imperative of therapy to adapt to the needs of the individual and create a safe and confidential space, enabling them then to feel able to explore difficult traumas and reflect on inner emotions.
When using art therapy, I may encourage the use of art materials to explore problems. This can sometimes help us reflect and see things from a different perspective, it can also be a very cathartic process, bringing with it clarification of the heart of the problem. No skill is required.
Art therapy with children can have huge rewards, but it can also speak volumes to adults, especially those who feel they have had their childhood stolen from them.
EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing
A form of Psychotherapy developed in 1980's by American psychologist Francine Shapiro. Used primarily to treat PTSD, EMDR is becoming more widely recognised to treat all forms of difficulties. When something traumatic happens to someone, it can sometimes be stored in the brain incorrectly. EMDR offers the opportunity to heal and resolve unprocessed memories, that may have started to exhibit themselves as flashbacks or nightmares. The beauty of EMDR is that if you do not wish to share your story you do not have to, the process allows you to work through it without having to explain. Using bilateral stimulation the therapist helps support the client to process the memory, and the original distress is relieved.
See https://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/ for further details.
I am passionate about about helping people recover from mental health difficulties, and feel I have a strength in helping clients feel relaxed and heard in their therapy.
It is important you take the time to find the right therapist and treatment for you. Please feel free to contact me, I offer free 30 minute consultations. If you feel my approach does not feel right, I have a good knowledge of other services and practitioners in the area.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2021 - EMDR Europe Accredited Level 1 Child and Adolescent EMDR Training.
- 2020 - EMDR Masterclass EMDR Therapy Training.
- In between September 2015 - October 2017, I trained at the University of Chester and qualified with an MA in Art Therapy. Dissertation: Art Therapy and Brain Injury a Literary Review.
- 2011 -2014, University of Chester; BA Hons English with Fine Art.
- Mindful Based EMDR (September 2020, EMDR institute)
- Dream Completion and Flash Technique in EMDR, (July 2020, EMDR institute)
- Using Creative Arts Online - Relationship Dynamics (June 2020,)
- Sexually Harmful Behaviour (November 2019, Alix Brown)
- Mental Health First Aid (July 2018, MHFA England)
- Eating Disorder: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder ( March 2019, CAMHS Liverpool)
- Living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (September 2018, NHS Foundation)
- Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties (June 2018, NHS Foundation)
- Living with Autism Spectrum Condition (June 2018, NHS Foundation)
- Refugee and Trauma Training (June 2018, CWP)
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing Skills (February 2018, NHS Foundation)
- Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy (August 2017, NHS Foundation)
- Introduction to Life Story Work (March 2017, NHS Foundation)
- Primary School Therapist
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit
- Adult Services
- Looked After Children
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£45.00 per session
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
I am currently offering an initial 30 minute Zoom/Telephone consultation for free.
Individual EMDR Therapy / Art Psychotherapy Sessions : £45 (inc. 1 hr face to face or remote session + 30 min prep & note writing)
Individual EMDR Therapy / Art Psychotherapy Sessions may include additional travel, room hire and professional team meeting fees.