Gail Knight - BACP Senior Accredited & Registered (Dip Couns., B.A. Hons)
I am a BACP Registered and Senior Accredited Counsellor with several years experience of working in the NHS (GP practice) and a variety of other specialist settings (see below). I therefore have experience of supporting people through many difficult and challenging situations.
My key aim as a counsellor is to create a warm and down to earth environment where my clients can feel safe and comfortable enough to open up, be honest and move forward.
It's my firm belief that counselling can help people, whether it's to deal with a specific issue which has come along or whether it's to deal with longer term problems which keep re-emerging. For this reason I offer short or long term therapy which is designed to suit your needs.
Whilst I have experience and training in a variety of issues (see below) I am particularly keen to help those who find life difficult as a result of experiencing problems in their childhood years, for whatever reason.
In order to help you in the best way possible I will use an eclectic model of counselling. This means I combine a few different training approaches and am always open to new ideas. I believe no two people, or their experiences, are alike and consequently an approach which does not rely on one single method is more suitable for helping people.
I decided to train as a counsellor because I became concerned at the way the world seemed to be progressing and I wanted to make a positive difference to people who were having difficulties coping in that world. I will do my very best for you, using my experience and professional training as a counsellor and my own experience of the difficult world we can live in.
Training, qualifications & experience
- NHS - 8 years as a GP/Medical Centre counsellor (Sept 2003 - Oct 2011)
- NHS - 2 years with East Staffs PCT offering therapeutic smoking cessation (Sept 2002 - Oct 2004)
- Private practice ( 'Knight and Day Counselling' August 2002+ ) - I am contacted by the public at large and also take referrals from GP's, occupational health teams, charities and any other contacting organisations eg. Staffs Fire and Rescue.
- Employee Assistance Associate ( 2005+ ) - I work alongside 6 EAP's counselling staff in organisations such as British Rail, Councils, NHS, Police & BTP, The Prison Service, Royal Mail, Probation Service, Ambulance services etc.
* I also provide Professional Support Services and de-briefing work for some of the organisations above.
I also have experience in the following areas as a result of counselling clients accessing
- Phoenix Counselling Service - general counselling issues (Oct 2018+)
- Pathway Domestic Abuse (2.5 years)
- Prisoner bereavement counselling (2 years)
- Cornerstone housing charity - Lichfield homeless (1 year)
- SARAC - Sexual Abuse & Rape Advice Centre - Burton (1.5 years)
- ADSIS - Alcohol & Drug Services in Staffordshire - Burton (2 years)
I have also been involved with befriending schemes for Age Concern and the Shenstone Live at Home Scheme.
I attempt to gain a wide range of knowledge via training. A portion of the courses/seminars attended since qualification are listed here:
Managing anger & conflict (EPB), Brief therapy for depression (Mindfields), Anxiety and depression (J Briscoe), Sexual abuse and domestic violence (SARAC), Developing assertiveness & self confidence (EPB), Self harm (J Briscoe), Understanding bereavement (Cruse), Understanding Eating Disorders (BEAT) .....etc
Trauma - Working with Trauma & Sexuality in the consulting room (BASRT), Living with Dissociation, Trauma and the Body, Relational Trauma, Recovery and Clinical practice (PODS x 5), Understanding & Working with Dissociation (Foundation Course - European Society for Trauma and Dissociation & FPP), The Fast Trauma and Phobia Cure (Human Givens).
-MBACP (Snr. Accred.) - BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor (2012)
-MBACP (Accred.) - BACP Accredited Counsellor (2005)
-Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Humanistic) (2002)
-Certificate in Solution Focused Practice (2017)
-Certificate in Alcohol & Substance Misuse Counselling (2002)
-Primary Certificate in Critical Incident & Post Trauma Management (2006)
-B.A. (Hons) Applied Social Science (main subject Psychology - 1987)
** Foundation for Infant Loss Accredited member
** BUPA recognised
** ANXIETY UK Approved Therapist
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Childhood bereavement
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Photos & videos
I charge £45 per counselling session.
You can contact me for a chat via phone initially or e-mail if you prefer. If you feel comfortable with me we could then arrange an introductory appointment. After this, if we both feel that I can help you and a good rapport has developed, we could then look at how we proceed in terms of more sessions. There is no obligation to continue after this first appointment.
** I am a Bupa recognised counsellor. If you have this kind of cover please check the details as you may be eligible for free sessions.
I operate from home in a small village half-way between Lichfield and Rugeley, approximately 4 miles from each.
I have off-road parking.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
*Tuesdays 8.30am - 5pm *Wednesdays 10am - 5pm *Thursdays 8.30am - 5pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|