Emma Harris counsellor/psychotherapist specialising in pregnancy & infertility
I firmly believe that the strength of the relationship that develops between therapist and client is the fundamental key to a successful outcome in therapy.
It isn't often, in our everyday lives, that we feel truly heard, understood and accepted without sensing judgement or criticism from others and I deeply acknowledge, and understand, the loneliness that comes from struggling in silence with life's difficulties. Therapy offers you a calm and safe space to begin to tell your story openly and honestly, at a pace that feels comfortable to you. This is an opportunity to say it all out loud without fear of upsetting or offending those close to you. A chance to understand yourself better, to pause and reflect on what is causing your discomfort and pain, and to validate your life experiences so far.
I will support you on your therapeutic journey, and gently empower you to realise your inner resources and ways of coping and navigating your world, so that you feel more in control and able to move forward in a way which feels right for you.
I incorporate different therapeutic approaches depending on individual client's needs and I will tailor therapy to best suit you. We will continually review our work together and make changes to the way we are working if necessary.
I am experienced in working with bereavement, loss, relationship difficulties, trauma, anxiety, mental/emotional abuse and life-limiting diagnosis. My specialist interests include infertility, pregnancy and infant loss, traumatic birth experiences, TFMR and postnatal support.
You may be feeling sad, angry, scared or scarred by your experiences. Perhaps isolated because the outside world doesn't see or accommodate your emotional despair? It can feel daunting to ask for support when we feel we 'should' be coping and as a highly empathic, compassionate professional, I invite you to get in touch to see how we can work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA (Distinction) in Clinical Counselling from the University of Chester (degree accredited by BACP).
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Counselling.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Counselling.
- Certificate in Counselling Concepts and Skills Development (Distinction).
- Bachelor of Arts Degree with Honours.
- Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy).
- Registered Member of BICA (British Infertility Counselling Association).
- Registered Member of ACTO (Association for Counselling & Therapy Online).
- Member of The Foundation for Infant Loss.
- Loss and Bereavement Training (including Pregnancy & Neonatal Loss) | Child Bereavement UK | Iron Mill College | Foundation for Infant Loss.
- Infertility Training | BICA Foundation Course | Donor Conception Network.
- Certificate in Online & Telephone Counselling (2020/21).
- Cultural Awareness Training Course.
I am actively committed to my continuing professional development and I undertake regular training, supervision and workshops to broaden my knowledge and inform my practice.
Counselling and Work Experience
- Counsellor in an adult hospice where I supported patients and family members through life limiting diagnosis and bereavement.
- Working with adult individuals in a general counselling service.
- Supporting clients through the fertility journey of receiving donor sperm, eggs or embryos and dealing with loss in a private fertility clinic.
- Volunteer counsellor role in a Children's Hospice.
- I hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
- I am fully insured.
- I am registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Termination of pregnancy for medical reasons (TFMR)
£60.00 per session
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
I offer a free initial 20 minute consultation, without any commitment, either by telephone or zoom, so that we can begin to get to know each other and for you to decide if you feel this will be beneficial for you.
INDIVIDUAL COUNSLLING SESSION: £60
(concessions available please enquire)
THERAPY SESSIONS ARE TYPICALLY ON A WEEKLY BASIS AND WILL LAST FOR 50 MINUTES EACH TIME.
(the initial assessment session will last for approximately one hour)
I am flexible with my appointment times and have limited appointment times early morning/evening.
Please take a look at my website: www.emmaharriscounselling.com
If you would like further information about my practice or the counselling process please telephone me on 07861 002762. If I am unavailable at the time of your call please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Alternatively you can send me a text or click here to send me an email.