Liz Calvert: York Based IFS Counsellor & Psychotherapist
Choosing a Therapist can be daunting because, essentially, you are looking for a particular (qualified) personality. You hope to find someone you can connect with, trust, and show your vulnerability to – but most of all, you want a therapist who will make it as easy as possible for you, whilst still being effective. Therapy can be hard at times and it is important not to make it more difficult by working with the wrong person or method for you.
With this in mind, I would like to invite you to call me to discuss what sort of help you want or might benefit from and see if you feel comfortable talking to me.We could also set up a initial appointment to allow you to get a sense of how I work and for you to make an assessment of me. You may also like to have a chat on the phone (07544556428 01904 340 127) or by email either or both is absolutely fine - whatever helps inform your decision.
Specialisms and expertise
Internal Family Systems is my preferred way of working. I completed the first IFS Level 1 in the UK in 2011 and now have years of further IFS trainings, inc Neuroscience, Trauma and Addictive Processes.I frequently assist on IFS trainings in the UK and abroad and am a member of IFSUK.I have years of experience as a full time trauma/addictions specialist working for a Community Addictions Service. I also have a wealth of experience in relation to a much broader range of work including groupwork, training and education
I also enjoy working with individuals seeking self improvement and enhanced well being. For example, clients may wish to explore and liberate themselves from difficulties with , relationship and intimacy issues, confidence, stress or anxiety.I have been fortunate to gain years of experience working with the military and am able to work with military families and veterans. I have completed Critical Incident Training with the Military and the NHS.I pride myself in being an effective therapist who can help clients achieve outstanding and long lasting results. I can do this by having an extensive range of creative methods and techniques available to me but perhaps more importantly by creating a reliable, compassionate, trusting and safe relationship in which therapy and healing can take place. I am grateful and excited to be one of only a small group of therapists in the UK to complete Intimacy From The Inside Out, (IFIO) Couples Training which is hugely informed by Internal Family Systems
IFS is one of the fastest growing psycho therapeutic models in the field today. It is safe, respectful, effective, empowering therapy which is currently receiving wonderful testimonies from leading trauma specialists.I am honoured to be assisting the Founder Dick Schwartz and other Lead trainers in IFS training's currently taking place in the U.K and Europe
IFS works extremely well with all human suffering it will help you to discover who you are and to become all that you want to be. I was also influenced and learnt so much from the four year Hakomi training which is a Body Psychotherapy based in Mindfulness.
Training, qualifications & experience
Amongst other experience I have:
- 25 years experience in the impact of trauma on the mind and body;
- 11 years experience in specialist addictions and trauma work;
- 6 years of working with Gamcare (provider of services for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling);
- Over 5 years experience of assisting 11 to 18 year olds affected by substance misuse;
- Many years of experience in facilitating therapeutic groups (including alcohol, anger management, drug use cessation, low self esteem and substance misuse).
As well as being a highly professional and trustworthy Counsellor, I utilise the following tools and qualifications whenever appropriate for a particular client:
- Membership to the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists;
- B.A Honors Degree in Person Centred Counselling , Lancaster University;
- H.E Advanced Diploma in Trauma and Loss, University of Cumbria;
- IFS (Internal Family Systems Therapist) Level 3: currently the highest available qualification;
- IFIO Couples Training.(Intimacy From The Inside Out).
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitising and Reprocessing) NICE guidelines recommended treatment for PTSD;
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision with BPS.
- Hakomi (Body-centered Psychotherapy using Mindfulness) ;
- MBSR (Mindfulness based stress reduction training)Solution Focussed Therapy;
- Training in loss (including bereavement, identity, income, profession; pets etc);
- CRUSE: Foundation Training to support young people affected by bereavement;
- Death and Bereavement from a Multi-Cultural Perspective training;
- Extensive training in Child protection and impact of early childhood abuse/neglect on adults;
- Mental Health Foundation Programme;
- Worked alongside CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services), The Early Intervention team and Social Care
- Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy and Therapeutic Massage ITEC Anatomy & Physiology
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Internal Family Systems.IFS
Intimacy From The Inside Out. IFIO Couples Work
Students at School £45 (including student Counsellors).
Skype, Zoom and Telephone counselling is available upon request.
*Needless to say, as a member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists, I adhere to their codes of ethics and professional conduct, which includes confidentiality of the highest level along with numerous other client protections. These will be explained to you at your initial appointment but should you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.