Elaine Zaple Gulliver MA Dip BSc (Hons) HCPC Art Psychotherapist
The London Art Therapy Centre
46 Britannia Street
Riverside Arts And Therapy
0207 9371891 / 07798695033
For over 35 years I have worked in the United Kingdom, South East Asia and the Middle East as a nurse, counsellor and art psychotherapist. My passion for working with people is as strong now as it was when I began working in the voluntary sector in my early teens.
Currently, I work in a variety of settings alongside private practice; including a charity supporting young families working with the parents. Mobile Art Psychotherapy (MAP), an initiative I founded in 2016 for an NGO working with street children and marginalised adolescents in Kenya, and offering training to teachers and outreach staff. I also work for the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education where I gained my MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy and continue with my own art practice.
As an Integrative Arts Psychotherapist trained in both Talking and Art Therapies, I draw on psychodynamic and humanistic theories alongside neuroscience, attachment, mentalization and mindfulness. This integrative approach enables me to be flexible and tailor the therapy to the individual needs of each client.
You do not need to have experience in the arts to benefit from art psychotherapy, and I will help you to use the arts as a way of exploring your thoughts, feelings and relationships to improve your wellbeing. Often it is hard to find words to express how we are feeling, through art therapy I offer a safe and supportive space for you to explore and to bring deep insight, awareness and understanding to your difficulties. Sometimes, you may feel that you wish to talk in sessions and not use the arts, this is complimentary and is therapeutically equally beneficial.
During an initial assessment consultation, we will explore together your current issues, your background history and establish the focus of the therapy identifying your desired aims and goals. This session provides the opportunity for you to decide if my approach works for you. Individual therapy sessions last 50 minutes and are held at a regular time slot each week. Weekly attendance is important for therapy to progress.
I am an HCPC Registered Art Therapist/Art Psychotherapist both of which are protected titles
I abide by the standards of HCPC, BAAT and IATE.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive experience of working with people from all age groups, cultures and spiritualties, all of whom who have been affected by diverse lifetime experiences and diagnoses. Through my work in the NHS, with NGOs, Charities and in Private Hospitals I have assisted clients suffering from addictions, depression, anxiety, PTSD, personality disorders as well as those who are recovering from physical illness, domestic and sexual abuse, and who have faced challenging transitions in their lives.
One of my particular interests is perinatal care and I work alongside parents throughout pregnancy and beyond, including the challenges that families experience when a baby is born premature, or with sick infants or children. Pregnancy is a time of hope, but it can also bring struggles and it may be for example that you as a parent want to break free from your past, to be the Mum or Dad you want to be and to give your child the best start in life, and therapy can help you with this.
It was in Hong Kong in the 1980’s whilst volunteering with Vietnamese Asylum seekers that I first witnessed the power of the arts to initiate change and transformation in others. By using art, women and children were finally able to name and process their traumatic experiences, which inspired me to eventually train as an Art Psychotherapist.
Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) Reg. No. AS15417
British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT) Full Membership No. 32221
Professional member of The Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education (IATE)
Training and Qualifications:
* MA Integrative Arts Psychotherapy (with Merit): London Metropolitan University
* Mindfulness Training: Integrating Mindfulness Practice with Psychological Therapy, Coaching and other Relational Work: The Metanoia Institute
* Post Graduate Diploma in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy: The Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education
* Mentalisation Based Approaches to Arts Psychotherapies: ICAPT, London
* CATT Level’s 1 & 11 (Children’s Accelerated Trauma Treatment): Sussex and CATT Trauma Therapy Clinic
* Advanced Diploma in the Therapeutic and Educational Application of the Arts in Therapy: The Institute for Arts In Therapy and Education
* Counselling Skills: The Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education
* Anatomy for Artists: University College London, Division of Biosciences
* Diploma in Figurative Sculpture: Heatherley School of Fine Art
* Diploma in Portraiture: Heatherley School of Fine Art
* Fine Art Foundation: Heatherley School of Fine Art
* BSc Hons Psychology: Open University
* Counselling: Skilled Helping Relationships: St Johns Cathedral Counselling Service, Hong Kong
* Fine Art, Painting, Aobadai, Tokyo
* Interior Design: Hong Kong University
* Fine Art, Painting: Hong Kong University
* SRN (State Registered Nurse) with Obstetrics: Royal Free Hospital, London
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Individual therapy: £65 per 50 minute session
Groups per person £50 for each 90 minute session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Bookings from February 2018 available at The Riverside Arts and Therapy practice in Richmond. I currently have available sessions at the London Art Therapy Centre, Central London.
Types of client