Denise J Buxton MBCAP
Hi, I'm Denise, an experienced BACP qualified, integrated psychotherapeutic counsellor, taking work between Chesterfield, Bolsover and Mansfield. I provide a confidential, private practice, working independently with children, young people and adults, as well as providing counselling for community projects and voluntary organizations.
Along with my private work I have undertaken targeted projects run through Multi Agencies Teams, helping to support families.
Appointments are Mondays from 5:45pm and Wednesday from 5pm. Thursday and Fridays 9:30 am - 3 pm.
Life doesn’t always live up to our expectations and sometimes we are less able to cope with the demands of daily living. Misunderstandings happen, relationship become fraught and behaviour starts to become something out of character.
You may seek counselling when:
- You've developed a Driving Phobia after accident and you're no longer able to return to driving or being a passenger. Maybe you have bee bereaved and your finding it daunting to take to the wheel again.
- Your behavior has changed; common problems such as depression / anxiety / health concerns / low self-esteem and confidence have become an issue.
- Daily living has become difficult to manage and is causing you conflict – relationship issues / children’s behavior / family separation such as a parent working away – hospitalized - children leaving home / work and career issues. Life changes - moving home / redundancy and retirement / long term illness – disability / infertility / miscarriage / bereavement / loss of meaningful relationships, pets, social interaction / financial difficulties.
- More complex issues are affecting you such as abuse / trauma – flashbacks – distressing dreams -out of body experiences and you find your are unable to recall parts of you day / suicidal thinking.
What you can expect from me
Working together, you can expect a safe, confidential space where you are free to explore any issues and reflect on your experiences in a non judgmental environment. Together we will work to clarify those issues, decide the priorities you want to work towards and the best approach that works for you.
Freeing the emotion
Working with children and young people, I work in alternative ways. I provide a quality, emotionally therapeutic service, building resilience through talking, creative work and play. Helping children to cope with wide-ranging and often complex social issues including bullying, bereavement, domestic violence, family breakdown, neglect and trauma. My room in Glapwell, is the perfect venue to enable younger clients to explore and express themselves.
Not keeping it for the kids
Creative work is something that is open to all clients. It's not always all about the words, sometimes it's about giving you the tools and encouraging you to give a sense and form to your emotions, enabling you to feel heard. Having your message accepted and acknowledged can be very powerful. Building a greater sense of self.
Being committed to my client work, I continue to undertake professional and personal development through ongoing training and personal reflection and therapy, inline with the BACP Code of Ethics.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training specific to:
- Safeguarding Children & Vulnerable Adults - Child Development, Self Harm, Drug and Alcohol misuse, Parent Mental Health.
- Children & Young People’s Counselling - Helping Children Tell Their Story, Children's Emotional Wellbeing, Working with Metaphor.
- Domestic Abuse – physical, sexual, emotional, financial (for both the victim and the perpetrator)
- Extended Skills for Working with Perpetrators
- Family Separation and Mediation
- Alcohol misuse
- Suicide, Trauma and PTSD
Awareness training of:
- Mood Disorders in Children and Young People
- Self Harm
- Eating Disorders
- The Impact of Domestic Abuse on Children and Their Development.
- The Impact of Crime
- Free Play
- Child Development
- Trauma Dissociation and Recovery
- Trauma and the Body - Somatisation and Dissociation (the physical impact on the body)
Advanced Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
Awareness in Bereavement Care
Working in private practice since 2012
I currently volunteering hours for 'Cruse' a national charity for support with bereavement.
18 months experience of one to one counselling with children, in a Nottingham school, for 'Place2Be' the leading children's mental health national charity.
Three years experience with 'Women's Aid' a national charity providing support to women and children experiencing/have previous experience of domestic abuse.
One year volunteering for Derbyshire County Council project, 'Jigsaws Family Counselling Service' supporting families with complex needs.
Two years volunteering for 'Victim Support' providing victims of crime, with solution focused, problem solving and emotional support.
I started out working professionally with horses, and looking back it was the beginning of learning how to read what was being communicated without words. Turning to study later in life, I wanted to look at the way we demonstrate through our behavior, our feelings and how to manage / resolve conflict within us.
As children we may experience expectations placed upon us, to know and understand things beyond our capacity. The reaction from others can stay with us forever and mold how we see the world and how we feel about ourselves. We start to change the way we behave to fit in but in turn perhaps we forget how we really feel.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
A driving phobia or anxiety can emerge for many reasons but it can become very isolating if you feel unable to seek help.
Using counselling skills, I can work closely with you to tailor sessions that put you back in control.
Working on your anxiety in the counselling room or actually sat alongside you on the road. I can help to build your confidence and get you back in the driving seat at your pace. Freeing you from the isolation you thought you had to suffer.
Pet and Horse Bereavment
I know and understand the importance a pet can have within a family. I also have experience of the special relationship that can be shared when owning and caring for a horse. Losing any animal can be traumatic.
I have experience of working with the feelings that come with sudden and traumatic death or the end of life for these much loved friends.
Therapy sessions are 50 min (the usual ‘clinical hour’) and payment is cash only at the conclusion of the session.
- An individual therapy session £40
- Family work £40 per 60 min.
- Concessions: Students undertaking counselling training £20.
Places of work
My Chesterfield practice is easily reached, just 12 mins from the M1 J29, straight down the A617 to the A61 Derby Road. Parking is available. Regular buses serve Derby Road, just a short walk away. Access includes just one step to the room.
The Hill, Glapwell, with entry to the rear of the premise.
Ideal for working with younger clients and easy to get to from both Chesterfield and Mansfield. On the main bus route, buses running every half hour, with a stop just a short distance of the premise however there is a flight of steps to access the premise if on foot from The Hill Glapwell.
Please feel free to contact me by phone or email to book an appointment. A message can be left and I will respond to your message as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening session Mon from 5:45pm & Wed 5pm - 8.30 pm I have current slots for Thursday and Friday during school hours.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|