Dr Delicia Barnes
Hello and welcome to my page,
I'm a Metaphysical Counsellor & Psychotherapist with extensive training and experience. I've been supporting people to live a meaningful life for over 30 years and have over 25 years experience working as a multi-skilled mental health professional. I've worked in clinical solution-focused settings for the NHS, developed both therapeutic care plans and ran workshops in secure residential units. I've also worked closely with complex family systems as a family therapist in a private high security mental health hospital for children who self-harm and provided solution-focused psychotherapy for adults with addiction-related mental health issues. I've been in private practice for many years where I've helped people of all backgrounds to move forward despite emotional, psychological, social and spiritual complexities.
What is a Metaphysical Therapist?
Metaphysics is a major branch in philosophy that examines the fundamental nature of reality in a rational way. This includes all areas of existence such as consciousness, spirituality, identity, free will and the individual. As an experienced therapist, I can provide a highly accepting environment where you are supported in developing coping strategies, identifying underlying obstacles and locating the fundamental root of issues. I can support you in what you want to achieve. How fast you want to make progress is entirely up to you.
Results through experience, skills and depth
The level of deepness inherent in a therapy will differ according to many things such as the therapist's personal development and experience, the therapeutic relationship, and also the methods used. Uncovering the foundations of a mental health issue or condition, requires a method with a degree of therapeutic depth. Most mental health conditions are ultimately clinical names given to describe a collection of symptoms that are generated when any area of our development has been stuck for a significant amount of time. Therefore, the psychological methods usually focus on symptom management: managing stress, minimizing manifestations of the condition and teaching coping strategies. Due to the fundamental role of our primary spiritual needs, a deeper level of exploration is needed to heal the root issue. This is the case for common mental health issues, more advanced problems and serious mental health conditions. A metaphysical approach is less symptom-focused and more solution-focused. It uses a rational evidence-based method to uncover the roots of issues which are linked to the meaning we give to our existence. This approach has a significant amount of depth, making it an alternative to long-term analytical therapy.
How I can help:
I can help you to think in a way which helps to deconstruct and reconstruct any information that an issue is resting on - hereby helping you to revaluate outworn thoughts and move beyond stuck feelings in a safe environment. This rational yet warm approach can help you think in a manner that allows you to dig deeper and deeper until you are left with only the foundational spiritual truths of any given situation. This liberating approach can help you find the life-changing answers needed to strengthen your mind and overcome obstacles at root level. Evidence-based spiritual principles are used to help let go of inner conflict and move beyond the thoughts that underpin issues and keep emotions trapped.
The way I practice:
The way I practice metaphysical counselling and psychotherapy for mental wellbeing is somewhat similar to Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT). However, I use a metaphysical understanding as an unlimited knowledgebase for helping clients interpret their personal experience and the events that truly lie at the heart of psychological conflict and spiritual distress. Additional confusion and stress is often generated due to a lack of therapeutic interventions for experiences that are described as a spiritual crisis, or being in a constant spiritual battle where one can see 'things' and hear voices. Metaphysical counselling and psychotherapy is a rational way to explore mental health conditions that have a profound spiritual quality or a main intangible element. Most importantly, personal issues and mental health conditions without any spiritual element fare very well with this approach as it's strength lies in supporting the mind's health through helping to gain an all-round clarity.
Who I work with?
I have humanitarian ideals and work with everyone who I believe I can genuinely help. I work with the core tenets of all philosophical beliefs, faiths and religions to advance self-knowledge and healing.
This approach is ideal for:
- Those who view their issues as being linked to their spiritual experience in some significant way.
- When there's a need to reinterpret experiences in a different light than the one held by society's norms or in clinical settings.
- Exploring one's existence at the deepest level without analysing childhood or delving into personality as a standard method.
- Very good choice for humanists and all those who want to include the spiritual dimension of life without loss of rational thought.
- A non-clinical holistic approach to mental health issues where besides organic physical causes and psychological explanations, you can also draw on the benefits of a spiritual understanding.
- Spiritual and humanistic people experiencing mental health issues such as depression, panic, anxiety, prolonged grief and profound loss.
- Spiritual crisis, spiritual emergency, spiritual warfare, inner battle and identity crisis, hearing voices, seeing 'things', feeling 'things', smelling 'things'.
- Ex-combat veterans and transitioning support for interpreting life and leaving the past behind.
- Family conflict, marriage and civil partnership. For understanding relationship dynamics and personal behavior. For couples who want to start over with a deeper truth.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Ordained Metaphysical Humanistic Minister (Evidence-based full-time clergy, duly qualified and recognized member of an ecclesiastical body, authorized and licensed to carry out all formal spiritual functions according to the rights and privileges of the law / ICMH / IMPA)
- Certified Metaphysical Spiritual Counsellor (Pastoral) (CSC / IMHS / IMPA Accredited / BACP Spiritual Division Member / Evidence-based / Humanistic)
- Certified Metaphysician & Spiritual Health Consultant (IMHS / IMPA / Evidence-based) QUALIFICATIONS:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Metaphysical Humanistic Science (MHs. PhD, MA, BA) specialized in Metaphysical Spiritual Counselling (Magna Cum Laude / With Honors / IMPA Accredited)
- Advanced Diploma Therapeutic Counselling spec. Clinical Counselling / Mental Health (BACP Member / CPCAB Accredited)
- MA Level Clinical Psychology Professional Training incl. Personality Theories, Psychological Therapies, Psychotherapy, Psycho-pathology, DSM-IV and Diagnostics. (O.U. Accredited)
- HNC in Therapeutic Education specializing in Remedial Mental Health Interventions (VDAB Approved and Accredited)
- Therapeutic Conflict Resolution / Family & Couples - Level 3 Diploma in (Therapeutic) Mediation (OCNW Accredited)
- Holistic Mental Health Interventions - Level 3 Diploma Holistic Therapies (VTCT / QCA Accredited)
- Additional university courses and training include: Intercultural Psychology, Social Psychology, Sociology, Child Development, Pedagogics, Ortho-pedagogics (remedial education), Working with Children and Families.
- Clear advanced CRB / No cautions or convictions
- Member of BACP and IMPA
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Faith-based and religious issues for individuals and couples
- Identity and intercultural issues
- Existential issues
- Ex-Combat Veterans
- Serving Veterans
- Transitioning Issues
All sessions last up to 60 minutes. Insurance accepted.
£90 per session for individuals, 6 sessions = £540
£120 per session for couples, 6 sessions = £720
- £70 per session for individuals. £60 per session when 6 sessions or more are pre-booked & pre-paid. Six pre-booked sessions works out to £360.
- £90 per session for couples. £80 per session when 6 sessions are pre-booked & pre-paid. Six couple sessions works out to £480.
Concessions offered for
Metaphysical Counselling and Psychotherapy is a humanistic, rational and psycho-spiritual approach available to everyone:
- all faiths, beliefs, philosophies and humanists
- for both individuals and couples
Pastoral Counselling and Psychotherapy is a specialist therapeutic intervention ideal for anyone who wants to deal with issues from their specific life philosophy or religious perspective. As an ordained metaphysical minister and full-time clergy member, I am committed to life-long spiritual learning and development. I have an abundance of experience and vast knowledge surrounding spiritual practices to aid mental wellbeing and support personal recovery. My spiritual skills relate to both mind and body, and include environment, diet, spiritual interpretation of issues, behavior, dreams, events, symbols and traditional theological views. I can work with the core tenets of the following:
- Abrahamic religions such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism and denominations.
- Religious Science, Scientific Faith, Spiritual Metaphysicians, and Metaphysical Humanistic Science.
- Traditional cultural folk beliefs and Nature Religion such as Wicca, Animism, Pantheism and Native American.
- Earth-based and humanistic philosophies such as Gaia, Green and Dark-Green Spirituality, Naturism and Vegan Philosophy