Dr Deborah Auer, Counselling Psychologist and Psychotherapist
DNA Counselling Psychology
1st Floor, 16 High Street
I have eight years experience working as a Counselling Psychologist and Psychotherapist. I work with adults and young people from my private practice based in Thatcham, Berkshire. I am registered and abide by the BPS, BACP and UKCP code of ethics.
What happens in therapy?
Together we explore what past and present experiences influence the way you are and why. By focusing on the therapeutic relationship, we can gain some understanding of how you relate to family, friends and work colleagues. Gaining this understanding helps you decide if you want to make changes in your life and if so how therapy can help you to do that. For me therapy is a confidential space unlike any other in your life where you can explore what you feel you need to without fear of judgement.
Through a discussion at the first appointment we decide whether short or long-term therapy would best suit to your needs.
My therapeutic approach is integrative with a strong influence from psychodynamic and relational therapy also incorporating CBT and existential therapy. This means I work with what each client brings in a unique and individual way. Being curious about human behaviour has resulted in my career in psychology.
I have a special interest in:
- Depression, stress and anxiety
- Body image issues
- Relationship therapy
- PTSD(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and trauma work
- Eating disorders
Due to my interest in the body, my doctoral thesis focused on the experience of female patients seeking elective rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy accredited by Middlesex University: (www.mdx.ac.uk).
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy from the Metanoia Institute: (www.metanoia.ac.uk)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling from the Metanoia Institute: (www.metanoia.ac.uk)
- BA (Hons) degree in Psychology from the University of South Africa
- Certificate of Competency in using Psychological Tests: Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service.
- Certificate of Completion of the Fundamentals of EGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association) Model Practice
Over the past eight years, I have worked in a number of different clinical settings with people from all walks of life. Recently I worked as an Employee Assistance Provider (EAP) for a large organization doing short-term counselling with staff from various companies. My past experience includes working with individuals who present with a range of mental health issues in the NHS, Counselling Services in Ealing and Wokingham and for a number of years as a Student Counsellor for the City of Oxford College.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Body dysmorphic disorder, support pre and post cosmetic surgery and body image related issues.
£70.00 per 50-minute session.
I offer a limited number of sessions at a reduced rate, please ask when enquiring.
Registered with the following insurance provider: WPA
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays and Thursdays
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|