Debbie Vowles MA, MBACP (Accredited)
020 7381 5531 / 07966 462663
I am an experienced psychodynamic counsellor working mainly with individuals and offering both open ended and brief focussed counselling.
I work with people :
· struggling with a broad range of issues – anxiety and depression, relationships, bereavement, future plans, disappointments, health problems, serious illness including HIV and cancer, grief, sexual difficulties, generally feeling “lost” or “stuck”, to name a few
· from all walks of life – business, legal, civil servants, local government, arts, science, education (both staff and students), medical and the caring professions, unemployed and retired
· of all ages from 18 – 81+ years of age
When someone presents for counselling I think the most important thing is to recognise the need wish to be heard. I offer a supportive non-judgmental and confidential space where we can try to understand the distress and help untangle the feelings and emotions involved. I find it helpful to consider the present issues by reflecting on past patterns of responding, as well as looking forward to the future.
My aim is to help clients to better understand themselves through a process of active reflection and to make sense of their lives.
I offer both open ended and time limited therapy contracts. I have specialised in time limited work as I firmly believe that having a specific focus can help unlock a pattern of behaviour or thinking that may have been useful in the past but is now hurting you. In many cases, I have seen that there are ripple effects and other areas of life change in the process. However, some people need and would benefit from open ended work. This is for discussion after we have met for an assessment.
If after we have met for an initial session, group or couple therapy seems more appropriate, I have a network of respected colleagues to whom I can refer on.
You are welcome to telephone me to discuss how, or indeed whether, to proceed with counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA in Psychoanalytic Studies, Tavistock Institute validated by University of East London 2015-2017
- Diploma in Supervision WPF Therapy 2005
- Diploma in Time Limited Counselling and Therapy, WPF Therapy 2001
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling, Regents College 1996-1998
I regularly attend further courses, conferences and workshops to keep up to date and also to stretch and challenge myself.
Having worked for many years in international affairs, higher education and sexual health where I was often called upon to offer pastoral or counselling type support, I finally decided to train as a psychodynamic counsellor. This is the approach that informs my thinking and work but where it feels more appropriate I will use other skills such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
I am particularly interested in Time Limited Work as I believe strongly that many problems can be shifted with a short term focussed approach. I now train counselling students in Time Limited Work and run Workshops throughout the UK and abroad.
I supervise counsellors and groups of professionals. In the past I have worked with Macmillan nurses, critical care nurses and also workers in Rape Crisis Centres in both individual and group settings.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
My fees range from £65 - £85 per session although I will consider a reduced rate for people on low income.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have early morning (8.00- 10 am)and some afternoon slots, and some evening appointments (Wednesdays between 6 and 9pm)
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|