Dawn Farrell MBACP, Dip.Couns, BA, PGCE
Vale Of Glamorgan
0785 280 8588
Hello, I’m Dawn. I am a qualified BACP registered counsellor with experience of working with children, young people and adults. I currently work as a family bereavement counsellor as well as a school-based counsellor for a children’s charity. I also work as a counsellor at a university and until recently have worked as a counsellor for a cancer charity offering counselling support to adults affected by cancer.
Sometimes in life, we feel overwhelmed by events and by our thoughts and feelings. We may feel confused, stressed and anxious and unsure which way to turn. I offer a person-centred approach to counselling that provides a safe and confidential space that allows you the opportunity to explore and reflect on the issues causing you concern. Together, we explore how life experiences can affect what you do and the choices that you make. I aim to work collaboratively with you integrating an Acceptance Commitment Therapy approach that supports you to make choices based on the things that are important to you so that you can live a life that you value.
The focus of the counselling work will also be on developing your resilience, self-compassion and coping skills so that you feel better able to manage any emotional distress.
My private practice is based in a quiet location and is easily accessible. It is close to bus and rail services travelling to and from Cardiff and the surrounding area. It has good on site parking as well as ample street parking. There are beautiful views across the Bristol channel offering peace, tranquility and opportunity to reflect.
If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me via telephone or email.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP Accredited CPCAB Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy, ACT 1, 2 and Skills.
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE).
- Bachelor of Art (BA).
- Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP).
As part of my continuing professional development, I regularly attend training courses. Please find below examples of recent training courses undertaken:
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy, working with adolescents – DNA-V Model.
- Motivational Interviewing.
- Brief Therapy Training.
- Disorganised Attachment.
- Bereavement and Beyond, The Challenges Children and Young People face.
- Working with Trauma in the Body and the Mind.
- Child Sexual Exploitation.
- Advanced Substance Misuse.
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Counselling sessions last 50 minutes and cost £35.
I offer concessionary rates dependent on circumstances.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client