Dawn Carter Counsellor MBACP (accred) Individuals/Couple Therapist/EMDR
I am a qualified accredited counsellor, couple therapist and qualified EMDR practitioner. I have a nursing background (both general and mental health) and have been employed in the NHS as a therapist since 2004, BACP accredited in 2005, and have a wealth of experience and knowledge.
What do I offer?
There is often constant pressure in today's society, which can cause us to feel ,low, unhappy ,overwhelmed, judged , and or stressed.
Life events such as loss, financial problems, retirement, long term illness, work issues etc. can add to that pressure. This can affect our mood and behaviour causing us to withdraw or become more angry with the people we care about. These unhealthy behaviours and coping strategies can greatly affect our relationships.
Also unresolved issues from our past can also resurface, particularly trauma.
To help you feel more confident about yourself and your ability to cope better.
, I can offer you,
- Short / long term one-one therapy, in a safe relaxed environment. We can explore a variety of issues, address unrealistic expectations of self and others and collaboratively we work together to help you gain more insight about yourself and others. Plus a variety of coping strategies,Then hopefully you will gain a positive sense of yourself.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) to individuals suffering recent / post-history of trauma and presenting symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress and Disassociation. EMDR is an effective treatment recognised by Nice Guidelines for processing various types of trauma.
- Couple therapy for you and your partner to focus on any relationship issues that you need to address. The aim of the sessions is to bring understanding and empathy into your relationship rather than blame. Other issues that may be addressed are communication skills and problem-solving.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2019 - Parts 1 -4 Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing EMDR. Completed Course May 2019 Trainer Sian Morgan
- 2015 -2016 Accredited IAPT Couple Therapy Practitioner For Depression, Tavistock Centre For Couple Relationships.
- 2012 - Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision, Inter-Psyche.
- 2011 - Post Graduate Diploma in Couple Counselling, Inter-Psyche
- 2008 - Foundation Skills in Cognitive Behavioural Approaches to Depression and Anxiety, Canterbury Christchurch University.
- 2003 - Diploma in Person Centred therapy, Southampton City College.
- 2011 - Eight week mindfulness course as part of personal development.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Face-Face Therapy 50 minute sessions
£40- individual £50- couples
Telephone sessions 50 minute session
EMDR sessions 50 minute sessions
£50 per session
Concessions available and also home visits depending on circumstances.
I offer a free telephone consultation prior to commencement of therapy to assess suitability of therapist/client.
Three locations available: Faversham, Maidstone and Lenham.
How to proceed?
If you are interested in making an appointment to see me then email me with your contact no if you are happy to do so or a request for me to email you back if further information is needed.
I will ring you back asap .After our discussion about what the main issue is and how we can work together , if appropriate, we will then book a first session which is convenient to you. At that session we will discuss how often we need to meet , how many sessions to have before reviewing our progress with in the therapy.
- I work as an integrative therapist, (Person Centred/ Humanistic as my underlining approach) but also offer Systemic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy interventions.
My philosophy is respect, transparency, and the ability to work with clients in a creative manner offering integrative approaches that are client centred either through one-one, or couples.
I have worked with a variety of clients (age range, religion, culture, sexuality, race, gender, disabilities) with a wide range of issues such as mental health, relationship issues, trauma, loss, carers and adjustment issues.
Feedback from past clients regarding therapy they have attended with me:
"helpful and understanding," "invaluable in my well being " "felt comfortable in my own skin," " helped me to understand my emotions and refocus." "Brilliant very calming" "EMDR really helped me get things into perspective". "These sessions have been amazing and really helped our marriage"
I also practice mindfulness on a regular basis and offer this approach to clients who may be of interest.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work Monday - Friday, some evenings not weekends.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|