Dawn Carter Counsellor MBACP (accred) Individuals/Couple Therapist/EMDR
I am a qualified accredited counsellor, couple therapist and qualified EMDR practitioner. I have a nursing background (both general and mental health) and have been employed in the NHS as a therapist since 2004 and now are working in Private Practice ,l have been BACP accredited since 2005, and have a wealth of experience and knowledge.
What do I offer?
There is often constant pressure in today's society, which can cause us to feel ,low, unhappy ,overwhelmed, judged , and or stressed.
Life events such as loss, financial problems, retirement, long term illness, work issues etc. can add to that pressure. This can affect our mood and behaviour causing us to withdraw or become more angry with the people we care about. These unhealthy behaviours and coping strategies can greatly affect our relationships.
Also unresolved issues from our past can also resurface, particularly trauma.
To help you feel more confident about yourself and your ability to cope better, I can offer you the following:-
- Short / long term one-one therapy, in a safe relaxed environment. We can explore a variety of issues, address unrealistic expectations of self and others and collaboratively we work together to help you gain more insight about yourself and others. Plus a variety of coping strategies,Then hopefully you will gain a positive sense of yourself.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) to individuals suffering recent / post-history of trauma and presenting symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress and Disassociation. EMDR is an effective treatment recognised by Nice Guidelines for processing various types of trauma.
- Couple therapy for you and your partner to focus on any relationship issues that you need to address. The aim of the sessions is to bring understanding and empathy into your relationship rather than blame. Other issues that may be addressed are communication skills and problem-solving.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2019 - Parts 1 -4 Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing EMDR. Completed Course May 2019 Trainer Sian Morgan
- 2015 -2016 Accredited IAPT Couple Therapy Practitioner For Depression, Tavistock Centre For Couple Relationships.
- 2012 - Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision, Inter-Psyche.
- 2011 - Post Graduate Diploma in Couple Counselling, Inter-Psyche
- 2008 - Foundation Skills in Cognitive Behavioural Approaches to Depression and Anxiety, Canterbury Christchurch University.
- 2003 - Diploma in Person Centred therapy, Southampton City College.
- 2011 - Eight week mindfulness course as part of personal development.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
face-face individual £40
Couple therapy £50
Telephone sessions £35
Concessions available. Reduced prices also for sessions before 4pm.
How to Contact me
Email me your phone number and the issues you wish to focus on and I will get back to arrange a free 30 minute session telephone depending on what suits you. Alternatively leave a message on my mobile no.
If you decide to proceed with therapy we will then arrange an appointment as soon as possible which is suitable to you. You can decide how many sessions you need ,the frequency of sessions and when you no longer want to attend.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Concessions offered for
My philosophy is respect, transparency, and the ability to work with clients in a creative manner offering integrative approaches that are client centred either through one-one, or couples.
I have worked with a variety of clients (age range, religion, culture, sexuality, race, gender, disabilities) with a wide range of issues such as mental health, relationship issues, trauma, loss, carers and adjustment issues.
"helpful and understanding,"
"invaluable in my well being "
"felt comfortable in my own skin,"
" helped me to understand my emotions and refocus."
"Brilliant very calming" "EMDR really helped me get things into perspective".
"These sessions have been amazing and really helped our marriage"
- I also practice mindfulness on a regular basis and offer this approach to clients who may be of interest.