David Tidsall MSc Psychotherapy UKCP registered BACP accredited
Hello I am David a fully qualified psychotherapist and counsellor with over 20 years of experience.
Thank you for visiting my online profile, you are probably looking for some help to resolve a problem, or to make deeper changes in how you see yourself and the quality of your life. Sometimes this may be a feeling that things are "not quite right" or you are living in a way that seems overly restrictive or self defeating. You might believe that your reactions to events or to others are self limiting. Alternatively, you may experience some of the problems I have listed below which often involve a heightened level of stress or anxiety. If this sounds familiar then please get in touch for an initial meeting using the links on this page.
Problems that people work through in psychotherapy or counselling
- Resolving traumas, both recent and historic
- Anger, stress and crisis management
- Understanding and resolving anxiety and panic attacks
- Finding healthy ways out of depression
- Releasing creative potential
- Resolving relationship problems at home, work and socially
- Promoting and supporting life style change and self development
- Understanding and changing addictive behaviour
- Coming to terms with bereavement and loss
- Exploring and integrating difference and diversity.
I understand that deciding to come to psychotherapy or counselling can feel like a daunting first step. My approach is to take time to hear what is troubling you and work with you to explore the behavioural patterns, thoughts, feelings and sensations associated with what you are experiencing. From these we can begin to understand the conscious and unconscious messages and beliefs that influence how you live your life. Often what we experience as problems or troubles result from what has happened to us either earlier in life, recently or both. I think we deal with events and circumstances in the best way we can at the time, however, these ways of coping may no longer be useful for how you want to live now. I will support you in deciding what changes you want to make and help you put these into action.
Sessions, what to expect
In our initial session you can begin to discuss your problems or difficulties. We will discuss what you want to get from counselling or psychotherapy and agree when we will meet.
During our initial sessions we will agree the out-comes you want from our sessions. You can change these and amend them at any time during our work. In these sessions we begin to bring into awareness beliefs and patterns of behaviour, you may feel are no longer useful to you. This may also be a time when you get support in dealing effectively with a crisis, stress or traumas.
Thanks for visiting here and I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have undertaken extensive training in counselling and psychotherapy and have acquired experience in my counselling and psychotherapy practice since 1997. I am committed to my on going professional development and regularly attend courses and workshops. All my work is supported through regular supervision.
I hold the following memberships, accreditations and qualifications.
- Level 1 in Sensorimotor Psychoytherapy for Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defences, and Traumatic Memory
- MSc in TA psychotherpay
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy registered Psychotherapist (UKCP)
- Certified Transactional Analyst Psychotherapist
- Metanoia Diploma in Clinical Supervision
- Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst ( Psychotherapy)
- Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- Member of the United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis (UKATA)
- Member of the International Association of Relational Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy
- Member of The Internetional Association for Relational Transactional Analysis
- I hold a Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy
I work in accordance with the following codes of ethics and professional practice.
- The BACP ethical framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- The code of ethics and professional practice of the UKATA which is a member of UKCP
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
I believe we can have close relationships in which we are open to appreciating and living with each others similarities and differences. I have a keen interest in how we go about our relationships. I believe each of us can find ways to improve how we get on with others while maintaining a good sense of ourselves.
I like to find ways to live my life creatively, this may be by finding a solution to a problem or by creating something new. I believe that we can all live our lives creatively and that sometimes we need help to find out how to release this potential.
As key part of holding these beliefs I think it is important to get the support of others and, whilst friends and family can be valuable in this regard, sometimes independent help is necessary. I key part of my own experience has been to undertake my own psychotherapy journey.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am easily accessible from Amersham, Marlow, Beaconsfield, Aylesbury, Chesham, Wendover, Princes Risborourgh, Stokenchurch , Gerrards Cross and the Chalfonts as well as from Thame and Maidenhead. I have off street parking and offer telephone counselling
Types of client