SMALL STEPS COUNSELLING
Alone, terrified, hopeless, depressed, unmotivated, unlovable, sick with worry – HUMAN.
At some point, we will all feel this way. But we get stuck and fail to realise in the depths of despair that all we really need to do is to take one small step.
I am Daniel Dickson, a qualified Cognitive-behavioural therapist. My strengths lie in my empathy and gentleness and reading between the lines of what I am being told. First and foremost, I believe in connecting with my clients through openness and genuineness, without judgement. I want to sit with you, as you are and with patience and kindness reflect back to you what I observe and learn from you as you speak. I will teach you tools and techniques and provide education to help you better understand yourself and grow into the person that you want to become. I will encourage and support you with each step you take until we agree that you are ready to continue your self-work without my support.
(In-person counselling currently unavailable due to the ongoing pandemic situation. Video counselling is a GREAT substitute. Get in touch to find out more.)
Training, qualifications & experience
I'm a graduate of The Centre of Therapy and Counselling Studies in Glasgow with a SCOTACS Diploma in Counselling and Groupwork: A CBT Approach. I am a member of the BACP and BABCP and hold professional indemnity insurance.
For 2 years, I have been providing one-to-one cognitive-behavioural therapy and psychoeducational groups for a range of issues and disorders, particularly with feelings of depression and anxiety and have a background in providing therapeutic support to alcohol and drug users.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Concessions offered for
Cost per 50-minute session is £40 (concessions available) and usually held weekly online over Zoom.
Monday's, Tuesday's, Thursday's and Friday's between the hours of 12pm and 8pm.
STEPS TO GET STARTED:
The following is a short process that can sometimes only take a couple of days.
1. Contact me via my profile (or email, text, website or phone call) stating your name and your potential interest in therapy. If you like you can also let me know a little bit about why you're seeking therapy.
2. I will respond to you via your preferred channel of communication to provide you with more details and offer you a free 15-minute phone consultation (if you would like one).
3. During our phone consultation, I will hear more about your issues and tell you how I can help. If you are satisfied, at the end of the call we will arrange how we are planning to meet and discuss the cost of your sessions based on your current financial requirements. (My fee is £40 but I offer discounted rates to those who need them.)
3. Following our consultation, should you decide to move forward with me as your chosen therapist, I will send you information via email on the details of our first session together.
4. Attend your first session! During our first session, we'll cover a clinical assessment and we'll contract for an initial six sessions together. The contract will contain all of the practical details for how to pay so you don't need to pay until after your first session.
If you are in any way unsatisfied with your first session and do not wish to return there will be no expectation of payment for that session.
While we contract for 6 sessions, all that means is that we will review our work together every 6 sessions. On average, CBT sessions run for around 20 sessions but this could be more or less depending on your needs. You are always entitled to end your support at any time.
If you have any further questions then please get in touch as I am always happy to answer inquiries.
For further information please see my website.