Counselling And Mental Health Clinic
01904 876072 / 07472029906
The clinic offers accessible city centre facilities in the heart of the beautiful city of York. We offer counselling and group work across the following areas:
- General counselling for a range of difficulties including:
depression, anxiety, stress, trauma, relationship problems, loss
- Counselling for relational and domestic violence and abuse
- Anger management groups
- Group psychotherapy (free access; for those who have experienced trauma or conflict)
- Bereavement counselling; the clinic can provide some free sessions as part of a research project
- Practitioner supervision for individuals or group
- To request a counselling session, or to receive further information on clinic services, you can contact us via our online self-referral form on the clinic's webpage, as shown above, or by telephoning us on York (01904) 876072. The clinic administrator is part time and will respond to all queries as swiftly as possible.
- Client access to the clinic is by appointment only. We currently offer Monday and Wednesday evening clinic sessions.
- Our anger management group runs on a Thursday evening and our psychotherapy group on a Tuesday evening.
- We currently have two Honorary Research Fellows working with the clinic:
Dr Jeannette Roddy, who specialises in domestic abuse
Dr John Wilson, who specialises in bereavement and loss
Training, qualifications & experience
Our qualified counsellors are registered with their own professional body's approved voluntary register and our trainee practitioners are in training on our BACP Approved Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling programme or other professional body recognised training courses. All counsellors are required to have Professional Indemnity Insurance and to be in good standing with their professional body.
Our group facilitators are qualified and experienced mental health and therapy practitioners.
Member organisations *
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling we deal with
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
We offer a sliding scale, depending upon client income, from £10 to £50 per session.
We can also offer free at point of access group work, including anger management and trauma, as well as some free places for bereavement counselling.
"I was very pleased to find the clinic in an online search. The initial assessment was done sensitively and I did not have long to wait until placed with a counsellor. I am very grateful for the sliding scale of charges, as I would not have been able to afford it otherwise. The clinic itself is a relaxing, safe environment. I have benefitted from my sessions in processing some issues and being aware of others."
"This has been the best experience that I have ever had in counselling...this is the way counselling should be done. Excellent!"
"I was generally sceptical about counselling because I thought simply talking about your problems won't solve them...but talking to someone who is essentially a stranger made me realise how irrational my fears and anxieties were and that helped me deal with them...I really liked my counsellor. He was talented and had good insights into my problems and anxieties. It is a good service provided at the YSJ clinic and I'm glad I attended the counselling sessions."
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
The clinic currently operates on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6pm. We aim to respond to enquiries within two days and to offer an initial assessment session within two weeks.
Types of client