Clive Black M.B.A.C.P ( Registered)
Like you, I too suffer from day to day stresses, worries, responsibilities and the expectations of others. I know how that makes me feel, you are not alone, but often feels as if you are. You can't think clearly, can't see a way forward, feel stuck? By coming to see me, you can be assured of a warm, accepting, non-judgemental environment, where I will be "real" and work with you to face the issues and problems that are preventing you from moving forward.
I came into Counselling to make a difference. I know this sounds very cliché, but it really is true. I work with young people and families in a local School. For the past three years I have also worked in a local Youth Counselling Service, as a volunteer, seeing clients regularly between the ages 10 and 25 years. I have set up my own practice, with a counselling room in the very centre of Dunstable, easy to find, easy to make an initial appointment and free parking to rear of building.
" A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step....." ( Confucius)
Picking up the phone or clicking the "send" button on an e-mail can be a daunting step in itself. Our first meeting will be informal, giving you all the information you need,what I offer, length of sessions, confidentiality, what your expectations from Counselling are, what happens next ? Upon mutually deciding that it would be beneficial for you to proceed with further sessions together, we will arrange an agreeable day and time, that will remain your appointment throughout our working agreement.
Creating an environment where my clients feel safe and able to express their feelings and thoughts, being accepted for who they are, not being judged, is really important for me. As you scroll through the remainder of my page you will notice that I offer "Talking Therapy" but also "Play Therapy" skills, for those who may struggle to express their inner selves verbally, but find expression easier through play or creativity, until able to find the words to match the feeling or emotion. A very useful medium when working with children and adolescents / parents and children.
I am professional, approachable, accepting of you as an individual, flexible working, including weekends. Jargon free Counselling, speaking your language. Look forward to speaking to you very soon.........lets take that first single step together.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma In Therapeutic Counselling (Person-Centred )
Certificate In Therapeutic Play ( Institute Of Art Therapy In Education )
Post Graduate Certificate Play Therapy Skills ( Training)
CBT Key Knowledge and Skills (Level One Accreditation)
Protective Behaviours Foundation & Intermediate. ( Being safe both physically and emotionally)
C.A.T.T. ( Child Accelerated Traume Therapy ) P.T.S.D & Complex Trauma
Working with Anger.
An introduction to the Autism Spectrum.
Introduction to Mindfulness.
National CAMHS "Everybody's Business"
Education and Trauma.
Working with Bereavement &Loss using Creative Expression.
Duty of Care in Health, Social Care or Children's and Young People's Settings.
Working with Sexualised Trauma.
Young Carers in families affected by parental mental illness.
Supporting Young Carers affected by substance misuse.
C.A.T.T Training ( Child Accelerated Trauma Therapy )
I have ten years experience, working on a day to day basis, with young adults who have experienced Trauma, Abuse, Neglect and issues surrounding Attachment. The use of Play Therapy Skills have enabled many of these young adults to find the words to express their feelings, and thoughts, that have hitherto remained out of reach.
I have worked for six years at a local Youth Counselling Service, Counselling young adults between the ages of thirteen and twenty five. Helping young people address issues and problems that are current and very real for them. Six years at an E.B.D (Emotional, Behavioural Difficulties) School, five years within local authority Children's Services.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Experiential Play and creativity sessions
- Protective Behaviour sessions ( Emotional and physical safety)
Photos & videos
£50 Home visits. ( Inclusive of travel costs)
£25 Students, O.A.P, Low income.
- Enhanced D.B.S
- Using the medium of creativity and play to reconnect parent / carer with their child so their relationship becomes more than just about "The Behaviour". Encourages / facilitates, "playful parenting", your child "enjoys you more", you "enjoy your child more", using the skills and techniques acquired from "The Institute of Art and Therapy in Education" London. P.A.C.E being a big part of the process, (P)layful (A)ccepting (C)uriosity (E)mpathy.
- Home visits. Ensuring a service that's inclusive for all, recognising some people may have difficulty in accessing Counselling away from their home. ( Talking Therapy and / or Play Therapy skills)
- Totally flexible weekend sessions, Saturday or Sunday. Recognising this may be the only time of the week that you have any time for you.
- Free parking at rear of building. Regular bus services, nearest stop being thirty yards from Counselling room.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Friday17.30-20.00 Saturday 09.00-12.00
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|