Claire Hilton M.A
Hello, My name is Claire and I am an art therapist working with adults in Worcester city centre. I have a background in adult mental health services as well as community mental health support.
Art therapy doesn't require any previous artistic knowledge or ability, no art has to be made at all. But visual materials can be used to explore and express things in a new and different way. All you need is a commitment to the processes of therapy which can take time and energy. The focus is around building a positive relationship where difficult feelings and experiences can be shared and explored in a safe confidential space. Often when things are difficult to talk about or understand, another element of expression can help to give the subject the space and attention it's asking for, but in another way.
Although it may feel strange, to begin with, art therapy can help with:
- Anxiety and stress
- Self expression and understanding
- Unexplained physical symptoms such as fatigue or pain
- Experiences or situations that can be difficult to process or express
- Understanding yourself, your feelings and relationships
- Feeling overwhelmed and burnt out.
In each session materials will be provided and art making will be encouraged, there will also be time to talk about things before and after - or both. The artwork can then be included in the discussion and reflected on together if needed. For more general info on art therapy please go to The British Association of Art Therapists.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA in Art Psychotherapy from Derby University
- BAAT (British Association of Art Therapy) registered and HCPC (Health and Care Professionals Council) registered.
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust - Adult Mental Health Services 2013-2016
- Charitable Sector - Arts in Health Organisation Manager and Creative Director 2014-2017.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Photos & videos
£45 for a 50 minute session on a weekly basis.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer Art Therapy on Tuesdays and Fridays during the day and am also available on evenings and weekends by request.
Types of client
Supervision & training
As a freelance Art Therapist working in the community I have previous experience supervising trainee counsellors within charitable services.View supervision profile