Claire Hilton (MA) Art Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor
Art Therapy is a type of talking therapy where there are art materials available to express feelings in a visual and exploratory way.
My name is Claire and I am a HCPC (Health Care Professionals Council) and BAAT (British Association of Art Therapists) registered Art Therapist working in Worcester city centre. My background is in adult mental health services (NHS) as well as community mental health support.
Art therapy doesn't require any previous artistic knowledge or ability, no art has to be made at all, but visual materials are available to explore and express things in a new and different way. All you need is a commitment to the processes of therapy which can take time and energy. The focus is around building a positive relationship where difficult feelings and experiences can be shared and explored in a safe confidential space. Often when things are difficult to talk about or understand, another element of expression can help to give the subject the space and attention it needs. This often helps people to gain more understanding and move forward in a more positive way. Together we can learn more about where you are and process things that are stuck or causing upset or distress.
Art therapy can help with:
- Anxiety and stress
- Self expression and understanding
- Unexplained physical symptoms such as fatigue or pain
- Experiences or situations that can be difficult to process or express
- Understanding yourself, your feelings and relationships
- Feeling overwhelmed and burnt out.
- Depression or feeling sad
- Major family/life changes (including loss or abandonment)
- Not feeling yourself, lack of confidence or self esteem
- and much more.........
In each session materials will be provided and art making will be encouraged, there will also be time to talk about things before and after - or both. The artwork can then be included in the discussion and reflected on together - no judgement or assumptions.
More information on Art Therapy can be found here https://www.baat.org/About-Art-Therapy
I am also available for clinical supervision for Therapists working within MDT settings - specialising in freelance caseload management.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA in Art Psychotherapy from Derby University
- BAAT (British Association of Art Therapy) registered and HCPC (Health and Care Professionals Council) registered.
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust - Adult Mental Health Services 2013-2016
- Charitable Sector - Arts in Health Organisation Manager and Creative Director 2014-2017.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
£40 for a 50 minute session usually on a weekly basis.
In your first session we will meet and you can get a feel for the space and how the sessions can be expected to run - you are under no obligation after one session to continue.
This is a personal decision as to whether you think you we would be able to work together and everyone is different. You will leave with an understanding of our contracts and we will both decide if we continue working together. Text for a call back and to arrange an initial consultation (£25).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please get in touch to find out my current availability. Daytime evening, and weekend sessions available.
Types of client
Supervision & training
As a freelance Art Therapist I have previous experience supervising trainee counsellors within charitable services as well as setting up and working within statutory services.View supervision profile